Click for Cross Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker

Damsel in distress-53 Hatteras 32v system ?s

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by HollyonVirtue, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Now we need a new Post.
    Can one of the Admins help here?

There are extras after the FR plate that really makes a difference. The Charles charger does not have and others do.
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Good deal Ralph, please enlighten me to what a ferroresonant "plate" is?
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The definition is more confusing than what I thought; This one (I hope) does not apply here.

Ferroresonance or nonlinear resonance is a type of resonance in electric circuits which occurs when a circuit containing a nonlinear inductance is fed from a source that has series capacitance, and the circuit is subjected to a disturbance such as opening of a switch.[1] It can cause overvoltages and overcurrents in an electrical power system and can pose a risk to transmission and distribution equipment and to operational personnel.[2]

I really have no idea what that means from the web.

What I do think I understand is a anode(plate)/cathode (gated diode or transistor) drives another output diode or SCR. It is a CRUDE design that mostly works but always leaks some current.

Briefly stated now would be; It cooks batteries..

A smarter (but more expensive) system would include a real voltage regulator driven by a feedback lead driving a real charge profile and turnings completely off when the profile is complete (or other demands are met).

A plane FR like the Charles in topic, as I understand, is not a smarter, nor really regulated (charge profile) FR charger.

Again, I'm not an expert. What I see in the field is real. My theories could be off (way off?).

However, what I have resolved in my working history has proved positive.

Anybody is invited to call BS here. Just give me a real education and not a blasting.

,Ralph
  4. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Closer, I believe that your mixing the input "line" voltage stabilization with the final charging circuit and while a ferroresonant transformer by its very nature of line voltage stabilazion will indeed have a effect on the rectifier voltage . Ferroresonant transformers and shunt tanks or feed back loops aren't anything new as they've been around for 50 or 60 years although whenever a manufacturer can dredge up an older technology and repackage it with todays solid state or micro processors than its rolled out as new and improved. The easiest tutorial for this would be to Google Lamarche ferroresonant battery chargers and ferroresonant technologies.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Got a beautiful letter back from Lamarche last week comparing 32Vdc chargers and what they had and how it worked.
    I will look for their tutorial.
    I have expressed positive comments above of that equipment, but 4 weeks to build a mod 41 / 32Vdc charger.

Used one on e-bay now..