Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking

Custom Tender- Opinions and Help

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by Ken Bracewell, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Hello Forum.
    For the past 6 months we've been having a custom tender built by HBI. We chose this design as it offered the most comfortable seating arrangement for our owners and guests.
    Unfortunately, the top was not built to match the design which was presented to us. The architect decided near the end of the build that the top which was drawn wouldn't be strong enough so this is what we ended up with.

At Rest.jpg

Any suggestions for changes we can make to the top?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Good looking boat. It looks like you could get away with the aft section of that top, but the front is pretty bad (especially those cross members). I think I'd start about 1/3 of the way back and give it a gentle arc as it goes forward so the front is more rounded. Again, I'd lose those cross-members forward of the helm, and move the forward/side supports back to where they'd be a hand-hold for someone standing beside the helm. Although it's hard to get perspective in the picture I think it would also look better if it had maybe a 2" brow all around which could also help conceal an isinglass enclosure for the northern weather.
    One other point, and again it's hard to get perspective, but does that forward boarding handrail go far enough forward to get a handhold when stepping from the dock?
  3. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Perhaps I'm missing the issue.
    What's the problem with top that is currently on it.
    Looks relatively simple, clean, and secure, and provides a little bit of protection for those in the forward seating.

You don't like it? or it's not right / safe / etc.?
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I assume that the pre construction design was signed and accepted or referred to as part of the construction contract?

When did the architect decide what he had sold you and the client wasn't going to work?

Did he give you any notice or option as to what you were going to end up with?
  5. Ken Bracewell

I don't think it matches the lines of the boat at the forward end. Mainly that the metal structure doesn't follow the lines of house or the windshield. Here is another angle.

Riegel_090227_0195.jpg

Yes.

There was a mention that it would be slightly different, but the first I heard of it was last week when I saw the boat (everything was assembled quickly). The structure was completed some time ago but had to be shipped out of state for powder-coating.

I'm not as concerned with who's at fault as I am with how to fix the problem with minimal cost to the builder (a friend of the owner's) and minimal down-time. I'm hoping that someone with a good eye and some structural knowledge will offer some suggestions. While the boat runs very well, I've lost confidence in the architect's ability to design a nice/functional top.
  6. Ken Bracewell

More Shots

running.jpg

Interior.jpg

Turning2.jpg
  7. Ken Bracewell

They weren't supposed to be there, but they were added for strength

Yes, that's why they are there. It's often difficult to find a place to moor a 35' tender, so these are for allowing guests to embark/disembark with the boat nosed up to the pier.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

To make it look right, I would get rid of the front uprights on the top and have them come up at a 45ish degree angle towards the rear to follow the line of the windshield, this should balance out the rear foward facing supports and balance it out. The two cross bars on each foward upright look to be a bit much. But then you are going to get into some gelcoat work to fill all of the holes but this shouldn't be a big deal
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

My concern was that they didn't carry forward enough for that purpose, but that's not what you asked about and could be easily corrected.
    Given the new shots I'd even be concerned with stability with a strong wind off either side of the bow. IMHO, I'd remove the all of the forward supports, replace the support on either side of the helm with ones pushed further back. If you do need forward support I'd go with a single pole in line with the center windscreen break/support. For a little more stability the supports could be "Y"'d at the top. I'd cut about 3'-4' out of each forward corner of the roof support and weld in that section bringing them in on the arc I mentioned earlier, sawzall the top to match that line, re-glass the edge of the top and any holes left over . BTW, it looks like the fabricator followed the line of the cabin rather than the windscreen.
  10. Ken Bracewell

Thanks for all the feedback. I will respond to as much as I can and look forward to more input.

I think they'll be fine as there would always be a crew member to help less than agile people. If they went too far, there would be a risk of damaging them if the tubes were compressed.

There is plenty of stability in the hull (if that' what you're refering to). The top it relatively light, but the extra cross braces are just for the purpose of adding support from transverse forces.

The original plan (I wish I could post it but it's a full-size blueprint) called for two arching supports to come off the house-top in front of the windshield. Apparently they wouldn't give enough strength against transverse force. I agree with you and would love to minimize the amount of support on the forward end, but don't know how to accomplish that while still maintaining structural integrity.

He actually didn't follow either. I'll try to get some shots showing the three different angles when the boat arrives next week.
  11. Dan Evans

Dan Evans Senior Member

First off thats not a bad looking rib, has that sense of form and function getting along. I think NYCAP is right, that hardtop extends forward too much in the corners. The supports in the front are blocking the view of the windshield which has really nice lines and should be shown off. I dont think the center of the top extends too far forward but when the boat is viewed from an angle (like the first pic in post #1 and #6) it is way too far forward.

I know that the supports are more of a concern to you than the hardtop so maybe if the supports were moved inside of the windshield and swept back it would look better. That way the windshield could hide most of the supports. That along with smaller cross members (1 foot or less) should fix the aftermarket top look.

Hopefully you can find a quick and cheap solution for your new tender!

Dan
  12. captbpomeroy

captbpomeroy New Member

Ken, what about changing the windscreen out to a better match your forward support structure lines? Look at Jupiter's hard top and windscreen configuration. The hard top to me seems as if you stretched it aft to provide the guest seating area with a bit of protection. How much protection does this really give them? If you have inclimate weather, guests will more than likely be in the console cabin anyhow. So, really, you are looking to protect the crew and a guest or two that would like to stand up. You may want to consider moving the aft structure/support tubing forward and making the hard top shorter by taking away a foot or two from the back. Sacrificing guest shelter for aesthetics. Take a look at what protector does for their hard tops as they are functional and good looking. The laminate looks thin as well. Does it rattle and/or vibrate? Where's the radar?
  13. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Have a look at the Intrepid 370 Center Console.

Especially pictures 1, 2, and 4 in the gallery for that model.

The forward supports for your hardtop would have looked much better done in this manner.

I think the rear supports look fine.

http://www.intrepidboats.com/models/370-cc/gallery.php
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member