Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder

cuba

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Irish Wake, Aug 15, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

well, cant' say that I comprehend how someone would leave key west to sail all the way to Jamaica with a passport!

that said, this is no the only case of cruisers being mistreated by paranoid cuban authorities. In my view, the problem with cruising to Cuba is not just US regulations but how Cuban authorities welcome cruisers. Not only do you have to go thru a myriad of inspections (some pretty thorough) but you need permission to go from port to port and must clear again with the local authorities at each port. And before someone points out that foreign vessels in US waters also need to clear when moving around the US, at least in the US it's just a phone call when you change port...

i'd love to visit cuba but they're going to have to change their attitude before i consider it. There are many other islands where procedures are simpler and you're not welcomed with kalashnikovs if you have an emergency.
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Wow! Things most have changed. The three times I went there we never felt the need for that. We did give "gifts" of carbon paper, pens, drinks, etc. But no cash. Nor did I hear of anybody else "feeling" the need to give cash.
  3. Capt Bill11

Again, unless things have changed a lot, it's really not that bad. The check in inspections are no big deal. And no more thorough than a lot of other countries I've checked into. And the officials are some of the nices I've ever dealt with.

The check out inspection is a bit more thorough than the check in. But they are really just looking to make sure you are not helping anybody leave Cuba or taking out a boat load of cigars.
    And even that is fairly quick and painless.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

how free are you to cruise from port to port and anchor out? any issues with officials in more remote harbor or locations?
  5. Capt Bill11

I have a friend who spent months cruising down there a few years ago. He never had any issues with officials and I don't recall him ever complaining about having to check in and/or out. He was on the hook most of the time and moved around pretty freely as I recall. I ask about this the next time I talk with him.
  6. Capt Bill11

Spoke the friend who cruised in Cuba. He said the biggest PITA, but he stressed it really wasn't that big a deal, was spending about an hour and a half before leaving Marina Hemingway going over the charts and listing where you intended to go with the various officials you had to clear out with.

After that, he said it took about 15 minutes to check in at each place when you arrived. He said in most places a couple of Cuban CG guys would row out to confirm who you are, perhaps have a beer and then leave. No big deal and never a hassle.