Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander

Crusair Waterpump or ?

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by Marblehead01945, May 21, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

two weeks to fix a simple air con pump issue??? that's outrageous...

maybe you should post the name of the yard so we can all stay clear!
  2. Marblehead01945

Marblehead01945 Member

Hi Pascal:

Our relationship with the yard is give and take. I don't break their balls when I don't have an urgent issue. When I have an urgent issue- they come running to any place the boat is at and they can tell by the tone in my voice just how urgent it is. When there's a hurricane issue and I bring the boat there, they get me right out of the water and inside without delay and back out pronto. This is a very busy week for the yards up here and I clearly don't need the AC for a few weeks so I'm cutting them a break. If I had an engine or safety issue, I can assure you if I called them today, they would be here right now. :)
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Ok then indeed you have the right attitude... Couldn't tell from the first post if you were being take advantage of or not. I do the same thing... If it s urgent (like a dead compressor in Florida summer) I make it clear... If it s a routine rescaling or an AC issue in winter it s indeed "when you get a chance"
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It sounds to me that the a/c pump is slightly above the waterline and that the builder or yard put the anti-siphon valve as a supposed quick fix, but the anti-siphon valve is probably creating more of a problem.......I've managed/maintained a few boats where the a/c pumps would not self prime and usually would wiggle the supply hose up and down while they kick on and then they'd get enough water to prime.....then once primed, they'd never have an issue until the next time the boat is hauled.........so it's not totally uncommon of a problem.....
  5. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Capt J
    That sounds just like a normal hand over to an engine room...
    "Look, this machine here, you have to kick it twice at the bottom and then smack her once on the side and she will work just fine then. Don't ask me why! Nobody knows. I don't care who you ask, know one knows why!" HA
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The issue the pumps I'm speaking about have had is that even though the pumps were below the waterline, the hose going to them had a slight loop that was above the pump height and air would get stuck there. (A hose going over a stringer and down to the pump for example.......... By jiggling the hose 1-2" up and down it allowed the air bubbles to work their way out.......
  7. Marblehead01945

Marblehead01945 Member

Solution for now

I promised an update on how we got things rolling again. Some of you were indeed correct. I went through and checked everything again. The pump is indeed slightly above the waterline,maybe an inch or so. Thats a drag. I now understand that the check valve must be in the system to hold the water in the hose upto the pump (I took it out but couldn't get things working). I tried priming the pump in different ways only to find out that the only place it could work was by priming it at the output to the strainer (of course the last place I tested). This allows the hose to fill up with water to the pump and actually stay there (the check valve holds it in there). (see the picture I posted). I guess the short length of hose from the strainer to the check valve gets a little air in it but manages to work itself out once things are powered up. So far I've had it on for a couple days on and off several times and all seems good. Sounds like I need to add this to log and make sure this gets done properly at commissioning .Since there is no place else to mount the pump, I wonder if there is a solution that is a little less messy. I wish boat builders could get this right the first time.

Again, thanks to everyone for the hints.
  8. Nordhavn68

Nordhavn68 New Member

Suggested addition

Capt Bill11 mentions in post # 13 to remove the nylon plug and replace with a valve. This is an excelent idea and the way we have always set up our AC raw water pumps. You need to buy a short nipple, ball valve, and fittings to adapt to a garden hose. Then if you lose prime you just attach a garden hose start the pump and let the water from the hose run until the pump catches prime. Then shut off hose, close ball valve and you are primed. As mentioned by others make sure to use all bronze fittings. My guess is the check valve is there to keep the pump end wet and as long as it is a swing check valve and has clean seat and flapper will open if pump end and hose are wet. While others may disagree I think if you remove the check valve you will find that you are going to lose prime more often than now since the pump is above the DWL.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

How old is the boat? I d raise hell with the builder for not installing the pump and the air con system following the system manufacturers recommendation

How stupid is it to put the oil changer below the water line and the air con pump just above???

Why do boat owners accept this kind of crap from builders?
  10. Marblehead01945

Marblehead01945 Member

Hi Pascal:

The boat's a 2008. Its not like GrandBanks hasn't got a few boats floating around. Every boat has compromises and these are no different. If this was a custom build then I can see your point. This AC thing is definitely a once a year inconvenience that I think we may have to live with for now. If I get water up to the oil changer and waterline then I have more serious problems then a rusty oil changer. Just so you know, we've had the boat 3 years and there has been no other non boat usual problems. Its been a good boat. I get your point though, every boat should be perfect ;-) when you buy it new. I would love that.....The automobile industry has come close but for some reason they still have to take the engine out to replace the water pump.

Anyway, your point is well taken. I appreciate all the knowledge on this forum.