Click for Glendinning Click for Comfort Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Burger

Cruisair switching to heat from cold

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by jterry, Sep 7, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jterry

jterry New Member

I have a Cruisair split system with a SMXir control that on its own will switch to heat from cold on the hottest day or night for no reason and does not switch back unless you hit the cool button, the unit will stay on heat. Does anyone have info on how to stop this. All the equipment is one year old.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sounds like a problem with the control panel (thermostat) or a wife with hot flashes.;) Then again she'd be doing the opposite.:)
  3. cnvsback

cnvsback Member

Test your thermostat to verify its working correctly and showing an accurate room temperature at the display, this can be done by holding the thermostat bulb tightly in you hand to see if the temperature on the display goes up. The bulb, if installed correctly will be located at or near your return air grill. If this test checks out O.K. i would try swapping the display with another one in the boat that's working...if you have one. If you are still having your same issue then next would be to try swapping the board, again only if you have another unit on the boat that is working. Ive seen the SMXir displays cause this sort of sympton.
  4. jterry

jterry New Member

Thanks for the reply. The thermostat bulb is sticking out a hole under the counter in the galley, the return is in the head linner in the salon 15 feet away. When you run the air in the 60's the problem does not change, it would seem like to me the temp at the bulb would be warmer due to no air around it. I will look and see if the old system had a thermostat bulb up in the head linner if there is a old one up there you can bet that's the problem.
  5. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

I'm not real familiar with the CruiseAir brand, but is it a possibility that it's switching into a defrost/evaporate mode? Or is definitely heat mode? Is the unit icing up?
  6. jterry

jterry New Member

Thanks for the reply. The air handler is in the flybridge console and you can not see the grill. I would think that the defrost/iceing mode is very possible. I have waited several minutes and the system does not switch back to cool you have to switch it back. I not sure if I just waited how long it would take to switch back to cold, the heat really starts to warm up the boat.