Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

"CRUDE" oil, an absolute must see program !!!

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by brian eiland, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Codger, but I think I have a good understanding of what is already known. My interest right now is to follow the Danish researcher Svensmark and his now funded project on clouds. It can be a tipping point for the debate...
  2. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

US$ ain't what it used to be. Have the prices locally fluctuated much over the past 6 months? Fuel prices in western Canada have been bouncing around the $.90-1.15 per litre range. The exchange rate, US$/Cdn$ has moved over 30% in the same period, now holding around par.
  3. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Thanks for that. Doing a quick search on Svensmark brought up enough reading material for a relaxing Saturday afternoon.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Here it has been hovering within 10 percent over the last year, but a tax raise by another 10 % is in the forecast towards the end of this year...

On Svensmark, have a nice afternoon and remember that the next "Kyoto-meeting" will take place in Denmark...
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

6. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

CO2 and Volcanoes

Not long ago I had occassion to rewatch a presentation on the Krakatoa volcanic eruption in Indonesia.

This single event altered the whole earth's climate to a significant degree;
    "In the year following the eruption, average global temperatures fell by as much as 1.2 degrees Celsius. Weather patterns continued to be chaotic for years, and temperatures did not return to normal until 1888. The eruption injected an unusually large amount of sulfur dioxide (SO2) gas high into the stratosphere which was subsequently transported by high-level winds all over the planet. This led to a global increase in sulfurous acid (H2SO3) concentration in high-level cirrus clouds. The resulting increase in cloud reflectivity (or albedo) would reflect more incoming light from the sun than usual, and cool the entire planet until the suspended sulfur fell to the ground as acid precipitation" (colored sunsets around the world for two years)

These events are so much bigger in dimension and consequence, you almost ask why should we consider a little item like our CO2 contributions?? Surely we will experience another such volcanic event, or even a huge meteor impact event.

Well I guess I would answer that it is all cumulative, and that is no excuse for our poor stewardship, if we can do better.

BTW, I found this site listing the largest eruptions, and Krakatoa was not even on it!
    http://www.volcanolive.com/large.html

Santorini in Greece was on the list. I seem to remember hearing of her earth/climate altering effects. But look at the amount of material ejected in some of those older events...staggering
  7. brian eiland

USA reaction

Actually I believe we may have reached the point where the American public will demand conservation and new technology. In the past the prices have gone up, but usually always slid back. This time I do not think the prices will slide back to the extent that will permit the public disengaged once again.

The government needs to mandate some conservation numbers to jump start activity, and leave it to the private sector to develop the technologies. But it sure wouldn't hurt things if we embarked on an 'Apollo mission' to develop some alternative fueled cars rather than just new weapons to kill people.
  8. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Here is one company that is doing something about fuel efficiency;

www.aptera.com

Unfortunately the cars are only offered in California right now, but they will expand to the rest of the country in the next 2-3 years.
  9. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Brian
    I have the distinct feeling that an 'Apollo mission' style approach would be a mistake. Looking at the Aptera that Catmando posted my first thought was that I wouldn't be trying to get from Sheridan to Colorado Springs in it during the winter. That's not a comment meant to denigrate the Aptera. It just might be a great solution for a specific part of the market and as long as the firm keeps focused on that market and the product evolves to better serve that market it should be a success.
    What's needed in terms of government "broad brush strokes" is a reality check on some of the existing stupidities. CARB is a a perfect example of a structure that needs to be given a good review since it actually favours increased consumption rather than efficiency.
  10. brian eiland

Interesting Energy Use

...from another forum

Brian, here is a link to a great follow up effort about the concerns "Crude" brings to light.

One gentelman in NY is blazing the trail toward one solution without much backpeddeling to our western way of life, this is a must see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEdQRVQtffw
  11. catmando

catmando Senior Member

If you don't trust the electric Aptera to perform in cold weather get the hybrid gas/electric model. That's the model I expect most people will choose.
  12. catmando

catmando Senior Member

13. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Thanks. Traction was only one consideration. Battery performance in cold weather was more the concern. Having driven, or more accurately, not been able to move at the speed of traffic in a couple of different hybrids due to low temps, not having enough heat inside the vehicle to ensure that I didn't have to wear my Nanook of the North gear I have my reservations. It's a balmy -10 this morning, up from last week's -39. Heated seats are one of my favourite options.:D
  14. brian eiland

125 Per Barrel

From... http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=52215&sectionid=3510213
  15. brian eiland

Earth Day replay

On this 'Earth Day' the History Channel is replaying this interesting presentation. "Crude"
  16. brian eiland

Swimming in Oil, or Searching ??

This gentleman has contributed quite a few insightful postings on another forum.

Old chart, but look at the rig count? Are they behaving like a country swimming in oil, or one desperately searching for more?

Attached Files:

17. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Using rig counts as an indicator can be misleading.
    I'm a bit more concerned about the pressure on the Saudis to increase production. There's a limit to the rate at which you can pump before you do damage to the structures.
    If what you are implying is that the existing fields have had their proven reserves overstated, I don't think that that is any longer subject to dispute.
    There are some newly defined structures that have the rigs out doing exploratory work that makes sense.
  18. brian eiland

19. brian eiland

Energy Independence

Okay Meanz, you've convinced me with some very thoughtful postings to this thread. I think you are right that our Congress not make some knee-jerk decision in this election year. Maybe that is the only good thing that might result from a Bush veto of a quick Congressional action against big oil....let cooler heads prevail.

Today I was listening to the C-SPAN hearings of the Committee, chaired by Congressman Rep. Edward Markey (D-MA) who chairs a Select Cmte. on Energy Independence. Here is a short video from him about 6 months ago when oil was approaching $100:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKuNQBPmY58

This is how we need to attack the problem...new technology and conservation.

I'm waiting for a YouTube presentation of todays hearings....a must listen
  20. brian eiland

CSPAN link to hearing

Rep. Edward Markey (D-MA) chairs a Select Cmte. on Energy Independence hearing to discuss the future role of the auto industry and the federal gov't in fighting gas prices and to examine the fuel economy standards proposed in response to the enactment of the Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA) of 2007.

Here is a CSPAN link. I'm sure an abreviated version will appear on YouTube and I will edit this posting accordingly when it comes online.
    http://www.c-span.org/
    ...then click on "House Select Cmte. on Energy Independence Hearing on Gas Prices & Fuel Economy", June 26, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.