Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Westport

Crew Quarters

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by silverlb, Apr 23, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There is a 103' Intermarine I know of, the bunks for the crew are 5'7 and in order to roll over you have to get out of the bed turn around and get back in, in the opposite direction. The boat has never been able to get good crew or retain crew.
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

There is no such thing as an "ISM standard" apart from one that applies to the competence of those who manage the system. The ISM code is based on outcomes, not a codified volume of methods or means.

There will be a Maritime Labor Code (MLC) in force sometime in the future which may establish standards for yacht crew accomodations. The single reference to ISM in that code merely states that a company's ISM system may reference the MLC.

Nitpicking? Maybe but codes and conventions are two edged swords, they can work for you or against you and the more you understand why they exist and where they came from the easier it is to comply and benefit from the good parts and avoid the traps created by the bad parts. The prudent mariner and all that ...
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There are probably very few of the posters and lurkers here who have ever had anything to do with the ISM System in any shape or form.

It is just as many people imagine STCW is a qualification rather than an abbreviation.
  4. 84far

84far Senior Member

Hi,

A 88' boat I'm working on at the moment, I've made the crew's cabin with an ensuite, the idea is it can also be used as a guest cabin.

Beds should be 6'-6" (2m), I'm pretty sure that's a standard requirement, but as the stories come out, looks like it isn't policed that much.

With regards to the bigger superyachts, I've read that they have increase crew's space size from 15% - 30%. Not sure what length that requirement comes into effect...? Cheers

Far
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Pages 7,8 and 9 in the link I posted earlier will give you a good idea of where it starts and what it applies to.
  6. 84far

84far Senior Member

Love your work K1W1, that PDF went straight to the folders, it should come in handy... a lot :D .

Far
  7. Captd13

Captd13 New Member

Marmot, thank you for the correction! you are correct, made me look back at my notes. hahah. The MLC would state the requirements, yet has not been ratified by all flag states. they used yacht "Gladiator" feadship as the example. they would have to add another 10 by 10 space to their crew area with the given layout of the boat. It was quite interesting to hear everyones take on this issue.