Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for Delta

Crankcase pressure MAN 1550??? And SSFR/EDC CODE

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Punisherzx12r, Mar 9, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Punisherzx12r

Punisherzx12r Member

Looked at a boat with twin 1550 common rail motors over the weekend. Pulled the dip stick at slow cruise...lots of oil and air shot out. Seemed a bit much.

I was looking for any sign of significant cylinder wear...motors have 4000 hours.

I guess my question is...how much pressure should be there if the rings and liners are in good shape?

Also....both engines set off a code while under load....seemed to set the code when load hit 85 to 90 percent.
    Code was SSFR/EDC failure value 2, Unit Prio
    Any ideas on that?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You had a MAN tech on board during trials / Survey?
    Maybe time to find one.
    It is not uncommon for the crank to throw oil up a open dip stick tube. It will make a mess in a hurry.
    Usually, no real pressures do build up, the top of the engine is well vented out of the valve covers.

It is the codes that may mean something,, important..
    You need to also ask about the 1000 and 4000(?) hour services to ensure they were preformed and correctly.
    Also, All heat exchanger history. Many leads on the H/E if you search thru YF.
  3. Punisherzx12r

Punisherzx12r Member

Thank you....engine survey is next by MAN mechanic. Well...they are getting someone to trouble shoot code first. I was just trying to get a jump on the info. Heat exchangers were recently sent out for cleaning but the boat is coming due for the big 4000 h service
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Usually when I’ve seen that code it’s bad batteries or a charger that’s sending a little ac voltage to the batteries
  5. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

Unit injectors , one on each bank has a sensor to measure opening time , it’s dropping out of its parameters at that load = new injector ,with its sensor .Your MAN guy will plug in a lap top and read off the values to find it.
    It’s not a show stopper as the ECU switches to a preloaded average opening time algorithm, Thats why it still runs or appears normal .

For the suspected blow by take the oil filler cap off and put your hand over to feel the pressure build up , compare both sides .