Click for MotorCheck Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Abeking

Cost of new voltage regulators!

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Phillip J, Apr 12, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Phillip J

Phillip J Member

Okay, just venting a frustration here. working on my Genny I found the mother board to be fried and an electronics expert told me the cause was a faulty voltage regulator, he was right, New Mother Board, $180, okay! But the voltage regulator! Holy Jesus! $384 for this? it is literally is the size of half a snickers bar, and of course the original is discontinued and the new kit is more expensive. I know it's a "marine" part and you always pay more, but JFC! You're Killin me Smalls! Okay, I'm done for now.......It's just the prinicpal

Attached Files:

• VR.jpg
      VR.jpg
      File size:
      94.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Hey Phillip J

I too have a Kohler genny in my Carver 3807. It was surging a bit so I decided to give it a tune up. Cap rotor, plugs, wires etc was over 700 beans! Even the impeller has to be bought through a Kohler dealer because of the way it's keyed. Bend over buddy, it aint gettin' any cheaper.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Some brands are worst them others.... And most kohlers are 3600 rpm units aren't they?

I ll take a Wbeke or NL anytime
  4. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Don't get me wrong. I love my Kohler 7.5. It runs quietly at 1800 RM. It's a flat head 4 cyl which have been built for almost a century and will last just as long at 1800 RM. My issue is with replacement costs.
  5. Navatech

Navatech New Member

AFAIK 50 Hz Kohlers are either 1,500 or 3,000 RPM and 60 Hz versions are either 1,800 and 3,600 RPM. This is true for many other generators. There's a reason for this. Physics :)
  6. Phillip J

Phillip J Member

Mine is 7500 watt, 120 volt alternating current, 60 HZ, 1800 RPM, I agree with THISISIT, it's replacement and repair costs that frustrate me.
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Are you positive that item (a rectifier, not a voltage regulator) is defective? It is just a bridge rectifier with 4 diodes and possibly a 5th to serve as a "flashing" source.

Find a troubleshooting guide or service manual that tells you how to bench test the rectifier.

It gets expensive when you start throwing parts at a problem.
  8. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

LOL! Great phrase. :D
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That's the difference between a mechanic and a technician. The mechanic uses time proven troubleshooting techniques whereas the technician throws part at the problem if he can't get a diagnosis with his computer
  10. Navatech

Navatech New Member

I couldn't care less whether you call the practitioners of the profession technicians, mechanics or grease monkeys. Personally I use the latter to describe myself. :D

However, as with every profession you have better and lesser practitioners. And, even the better ones occasionally err. Part of the problem is the litigatious nature of US society. "Technicians" are usually employed by the bigger companies (I believe the term is "collectible entities"). They will replace parts just to cover their asses from a legal POV.

The local marina "grease monkey" is more often then not a "noncollectible entity" so he feels free to try and help you save money.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

hehehee, welcome to the world of Kohler, a raw water pump for a 16/20lw kohler is around $1200. A raw water pump for a 20kw Onan is around $400.
  12. Navatech

Navatech New Member

Many of the various generator manufacturers (like Kohler) don't actually make their own engines. My 20 Kw Kohler is based on a 4 cylinder Yanmar. For engine side parts I go directly to Yanmar as they charge less then Kohler for the same item. But, I also check the web as there are aftermarket suppliers that offer common parts (pumps, alternators etc) for even less.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, and Yanmar also charges in the neighborhood of $1200. Yanmar parts are far from cheap and an oil filter (which is reverse threaded) is in the neighborhood of $65 for a Yanmar 4 cylinder motor, the raw water pump is well north of $1000 and last less than a 1000 hours. Kohler parts across the board are about double what the same part goes for from Westerbeke or Onan for their generators. I'll admit that Kohler generators usually run well and have few issues.
  14. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Hey Phillip, If your rectifier really is toast, how about sending it to me. It may be possible to reverse engineer the thing.