Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights

Cost Ideas for Adding Integrated Swimplatform

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by Danvilletim, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Looking for ideas on cost, approach, and general opinions of adding integrated swim platform to potential purchase.

The SF is mostly for cruising. The classic lines of SF make them age SOOOO MUCH BETTER than MY as far as the late 80's go. Bad years for interior decorators.

I'd rather not do the simple teak thing, but rather have a teak platform that attempts to look like it belongs.

1. Cost, 2 Approach, 3 Yards in S. Cal or N Cal? 4. How big?

[​IMG]

http://newimages.**************/resize/1/42/19/3444219_0_220320111636_28.jpg?f=/1/42/19/3444219_0_220320111636_28.jpg&w=299&h=448&t=1300911429000
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

The second photo depicting your desired result would require a hull extension.

I would talk to Dave New at Basin Marine Shipyard in Newport Beach.
  3. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

How about adding a lift platform such as a TNT?
    They can be raised high enough to avoid issues in most following seas and are good fun when anchored as you can lower them into the water for wet drinks and etc. Good for lifting a tender too.
  4. Danvilletim

That,s a good idea, I assume they can be customized.
  5. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Extensions to the boat

Hi, I am not sure whether they customise. There are a few companies that do them besides TNT. There is an Italian company plus a few US Co.
    They can add quite a few very usable feet to your boat with easy installation.
    Not cheap, but I would guess cheaper than a hull extension.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I had the same thought actually. I would avoid TNT and go with......whats the name of the one SeaRay went with....... General Solutions....I can't think of the name of the company......but they have been holding up well......although they're not cheap and around $25k I believe.......
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

If you want to board from the dock onto a TNT type lift/step, which I assume you do, it will need to match the boat's almost twenty foot beam. You would easily spend over $30K, but yes, that's still much less than a hull extension with integral swimstep.

The boat already has a davit and dinghy cradle on the bow, correct? Do you prefer instead to carry the dinghy aft, on a lift? If not, then unless you are going to be taking members of the Polar Bear Club of San Francisco Bay out for "wet drinks" why would you need the lift feature? (Although your local marine hydraulic tech would appreciate it)

Why not a conventional bolt-on fixed-fiberglass step? You could have one custom made to meet your dimensions & design requirements probably for under $10K.
  8. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

What boat

Hi,
    BTW, what brand of boat have you got?
    Egg Harbour?
    Post?

Nice looking cockpit and amenities!
  9. Danvilletim

It's a Huckins 70'. 1989. Not many made and not mine yet. Just trying to figure out this sf with great lines that will age well, or 1990 MY that already looks a outdated.