Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Glendinning

Coronavirus Covid 19 and Marine Industry

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by olderboater, Feb 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Can we stick with the boat show. How does a grocery store fit in with the Boat Show.

At this point, I feel the show must go on. My move in is just over 7 days from now. It's too late IMO to cancel. Many yachts have been shipped here for the show, many companies have spent tons of money getting prepared for the show, shipping boats and products to the show. It's just too late in the game. The Palm Beach show mainly applies to U.S. and Canadian buyers from what I've seen. Miami seems to be the majority of Central and South American buyers, and FLIBS is generally European, U.S. and some Central/South Americans. Attendance will be way down, but I feel it will be higher than the FLIBS that got postponed until the week after Hurricane Wilma hit Fort Lauderdale area. The other issue, what about all of our Italian boat builders who typically send representatives from Italy and those representatives are on lock down, same with China. You'll also have LOTS of people from all over the U.S. who won't want to travel, but I feel most U.S. buyers that would attend Palm Beach are already here and have been for most of the winter. Will they venture out to go elbow to elbow with strangers from all over, it's too early to say. At this point I don't feel it can be cancelled without a lot of angry vendors. At this point it's too early to tell, but the ball is already in motion for the show.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I think ultimately it's a vendor and customer call. If as in SXSW there's a mass petition and protest on the part of attendees, they'll have no choice, but I don't see that happening. If the vendors say they're not doing it, they'll have no choice. However, what I see as the most likely scenario, subject to what happens between now and then, is you go on with the show and simply accept attendance as it is.

We face situations in business. Should we stay open? Should employees have to come to work? Well, the answer is I can tell them "no", they can't work, but I can never tell them "yes", they must. I can stay open and allow them, but I can never tell an employee to take a risk they feel they shouldn't. So, I see this much the same. If the show promoter felt it was absolutely wrong to have the show, they could cancel, but otherwise it's up to the vendors and the attendees.
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Very sensible reasoning OB, but at the same time, what you are saying is also the reason why reactions can only be really effective if dealt with - and enforced - by the public authority.

I mean, we can all have our ideas about what the Italian government is doing.
    Personally, I think they made the right call, and if I should make any criticism, I'd say that they should have done it even earlier, in spite of the fact that it was the faster political decisions ever taken, on a nationwide matter like this.
    Others may think that they overreacted, based on their own viewpoint, on some statistics whose accuracy is debatable to say the least, on official declarations of their own politicians - whatever.
    What I would humbly suggest to them, without wishing anyone anything bad, is that it ain't over till the fat lady sings.

But if there's one thing that goes beyond our personal opinions, it's that leaving the decision of what to do (or not) to the individuals, in an outbreak like this, simply is not good enough.
    This is something we know for a fact, by now.
  4. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Thanks for the good news Alzira II, at least we can get some here!
  5. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Here's an update from the Department of Defense, good to see the advanced preparation, the funding and the ability to test all in tact. if it behaves as a seasonal flu, it will eventually join the seasonal vaccine rotation:

March 10, 2020
    News
    By Claudette Roulo
    Defense.gov

DOD Confronts Coronavirus Head-On
    The Defense Department is taking positive action to protect people, safeguard critical national security missions and capabilities and support the whole-of-government approach to confronting the spread of the coronavirus, or COVID-19, DOD spokesman Jonathan Rath Hoffman said today.

Combatant commanders have the authority to take measures to protect personnel from exposure to the new virus, Hoffman said during a press briefing with other DOD officials at the Pentagon. That may mean modifying, postponing or cancelling some training, he said.

Training continues on a smaller scale in South Korea, Hoffman said, though a larger joint exercise was postponed late last month. The commander of U.S. Forces Korea has been at the forefront of DOD's response in containing COVID-19, he said, having "taken measures that have been highly, highly aggressive and effective in confronting it and helping secure his personnel from exposure."

Planning continues for other exercises, he noted, such as the Defender 2020 division-size exercise scheduled for this spring in Europe.

"A lot of folks get a vote in as far as participation [in joint exercises] is concerned, but as far as we're concerned now, that exercise is good," said Navy Rear Adm. William D. Byrne Jr., the vice director of the Joint Staff.

At the Pentagon, one of largest office buildings in the world, Hoffman said educational materials are being distributed and good hygiene practices are being reinforced. The visitor entry process is under evaluation, he said, and people are practicing social distancing for meetings and briefings. One example of that distancing effort is that chairs in the press briefing room are now spaced six feet apart.

Across the force, three active-duty service members – one in South Korea, one in Europe and one in the U.S. – four family members, one government civilian and one contractor have so far been diagnosed with COVID-19, said Air Force Brig. Gen. Paul Friedrichs, the Joint Staff surgeon, during the briefing. "All are doing well at this point," he said.

The department is taking these precautions because COVID-19 is a new virus and scientists are still learning about how easy it is to spread, Friedrichs said. "And in particular, in an environment like this – enclosed spaces – we're trying to figure out the best way to mitigate the risk until we have solid data on that," he added.

All 13 of DOD's clinical labs can run the necessary tests to determine whether a person has COVID-19, the general noted.

"The Department of Defense has had plans for dealing with disease outbreaks like this for years," Friedrichs said. Each base has a plan that is coordinated with local authorities, he added.

"If we go back to any successful response, it starts with a strong local public health authority and good plans that are not unique to one employer, like the DOD, but to the whole community," the general said.

Friedrichs later told reporters that the No. 1 thing he'd like to know about COVID-19 is whether it's seasonal. "Because if it is seasonal, then it will start to burn out in the next couple of months," he said. "And that buys us a little bit more time until the fall when it comes back. And that means that we have more time to work on medical countermeasures, work on vaccines, and all the other things that we have for the flu."
  6. olderboater

There appears to be a trend toward banning gatherings of large crowds. Right now, the state of Washington is banning over 250 people indoors or outdoors. The Ohio Governor has issued a request, not an order, against indoor gatherings.

One thing being emphasized is the need to act quickly.
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I would like to inform my US and Canadian mates, that our soda-pop was delivered to home by a truck called the Karrier.

Karrier.jpg
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The Stockholm Boat Show that opened on Saturday will close tonight instead of the coming Sunday as planned. So with just an hours notice the Show is now stopped due to the current Corona Virus situation.
  9. olderboater

Back to the Palm Beach Show. I don't think Public Authority will stop it. However, based on what I'm seeing elsewhere, I do believe there's at least a 50% chance it will be cancelled or even stopped in the middle.

I base this on other types of shows happening today. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo was just shut down. It was scheduled to continue through March 22. It typically has 100,000 visitors each weekend, 2.5 million total, and generates $277 million. The Houston Mayor also is going to sign an Emergency Health Declaration. The Florida governor has already signed one.

With all respect to Alzira, the Knoxville boat show is small compared to this and was also earlier. Had the Palm Beach Show been last week, I don't think it would have been interrupted. I'm not saying the Palm Beach Show should be cancelled, just saying I think there's a high probability the way things are moving. We're seeing so many sports events cancelled or played without fans or moved right now, so there's a significant groundswell for cancelling events with crowds.

City after city is going to get economically hit by cancellations as are all those involved with such events.

How badly will a show cancellation impact the industry if it happens, not catastrophe, but some losses of business.

Additional update to show the movement: NCAA tournaments to be held without fans.
  10. olderboater

While the NBA tries to decide whether to pay to empty arenas or to take a hiatus, and extremely interest occurrence in Oklahoma City. Players were introduced, ready to start. OK team doctor spoke to officials and players left the court while they proceeded with the halftime show. Then came back and announced the game was cancelled. Now, two of the Utah Jazz players were sick. There's been no further announcement but clearly there was some fear of Covid 19 either with them or otherwise. Reason for cancelling was given as unforeseen circumstances. Something tells me tonight may be the last night of fans and maybe of play. Dallas Mavericks had about 12,000 fans vs. norm of 19,000. Other teams haven't disclosed crowd size and they aren't showing the Heat crowd.

Now ban on travel to and from Europe but seems to exclude the UK, guess because of Brexit but why on this no one knows. Has to impact the industry just as factory shutdowns are.

Update: A Jazz player who wasn't with the team tested positive and all NBA games suspended for now. Teams just playing out tonight's games.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Now Travel from Europe has been cancelled. Only Americans can fly in and need to be screened and quarantined for 14 days. So there goes a lot of manufacturers reps, venders, customers, and lookie lous.
  12. timvail

timvail Senior Member

well, having experienced Sars, maybe people will understand what the WHO has been saying for the past few weeks. People need to take themselves off cruise control, open their eyes and listen. This issue is nothing to toy with,
  13. JWY

JWY Senior Member

In case you're interested in another long read, I just sent this to family and friends yesterday (it mentions an upcoming sea trial so call it marine related):

When I was in nursing school and took a microbiology class, I saw through a microscope bacteria multiplying by the hundredfold with my very own eyes.That was the impetus for instituting what I thought were common sense measures for germ-spreading prevention. My whole life has been filled with people who have teased me about my mild-moderate case of germaphobia. I don’t think I’m diagnosable, I think I am just using common sense. In recent days I have expressed my caution about ink-pens and am so surprised at how few people never consider this hazard. So here are my suggestions for germ prevention, actions I have taken every day for decades:

1. Ink-pens: I always have a few ink-pens in my purse. My major locations of concern are doctors’ offices and banks. If you assume most people in a doctor’s waiting room are sick, then they are a bucketful of germs waiting to spill forth. You walk in to a doctor’s office and sign in on the registration sheet. Whoops. Has that sick person who signed in before you washed his hands before picking up the pen on the chain or clipboard? Did she wipe her nose or throw away her dirty tissue before signing in before me? I need give no more possible scenarios. I am also careful to not use the armrest on the chairs in the waiting room and I assume the seats furthest away from the front are less used and therefore have less bacteria count. My problem with banks isn’t just the number of people that use their ink-pens every day, but where have all of the dollar bills been traveling and how many hands have touched them. Nuff said.
    2. Elevators: Using your elbow or, 2nd choice, knuckle to hit the elevator button carries its own obvious reason. Hospitals need no further comment. Hotels for sure because 3rd-world country germs are of more concern for me. It’s an easy habit to develop.
    3. Escalators: How many germs must go round and round on that piece of plastic tubing everyone holds on to. I usually try to avoid using the handrail if I can. If balance or packages are a hindrance sometimes just leaning on the rail with my arm helps. If I need to use my hand, I will pull out a tissue and hold that in my hand as a barrier. In airports, I frequently take the elevator because I know escalators are challenging when shlepping a purse and carry-on and not using the escalator handrail.
    4. Bathrooms: Of course everyone uses the toilet seat covers when available or squats when necessary, but when I go into the toilet stall, I tear off a piece of toilet paper to use for latching the stall door shut and later to re-open. So after you flush your toilet seat cover (with foot of course!), then you use your hand to unlock the latch that everyone’s hand has just used to open after they peed or pooped? So I hope the flimsy piece of paper acts as a barrier, psychological if nothing else. After I wash my hands (using the back of my hand to turn the water off), I grab an extra paper-towel to take with me to open the bathroom door when I exit.
    5. Airplanes: I fly a fair amount. I just got back from NY. I fly next week to VA for a sea trial and survey. I always fly with a package of Purell wipes. I wipe the seat and headrest and then sit. Then I wipe the seat belt and not just the buckle. The armrests, seat-back button, tray knob and tray, and monitor screen. Lastly, don’t forget the window shade pulldown and the overhead light and call buttons.
    6. Gas Pumps: I read an article that said the worst place to pick up germs is from a gas pump. That sounds odd. Until I read further and they blame it on truck drivers, those guys that travel alone on long hauls and do their guy thing. Excuse me while I barf! Meanwhile I keep Purell sanitizer on the door pocket of my car just for gas stations.
    7. Hotel Rooms: The same article cited TV remote controls as # 2 in bacteria count for similar reasons as #6. So I never even touch the remote in a hotel! But I do use a wipe on the room door handle and lock, and the bathroom door and faucets, and refrigerator door, and light switches and bedside lamp and table. And don’t use the glasses - do you think they really all go in a dishwasher or does housekeeping rinse them out?

Now that you know I am still flying and staying in hotels next week, you can assume that I am not one of those freaked out about the latest virus. I am doing nothing differently than what I have always done: been aware of where germs may be harboring or thriving, and then do my best to limit the number of germs I might pick up on my hands. Germs on hands aren’t the problem, it’s then when I touch my face. Touching my eyes is my problem, but when I casually brush my hand over my nose, it’s not only spreading those germs to me internally, but now my foreign germs, heightened by my nose swipe, would be on your doctor’s ink-pen or on the elevator button on the way to the office.
    If you have your own helpful hints, please send them to me.
    Stay safe and be smart. Spread the word, not the germs!
    xoxo
    Judy
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Wearing thin latex surgical gloves right now wouldn’t be a bad idea. They will cure you of touching your face as well. I read that people touch their face, lips, or nose over 90 times a day.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Interestingly I have yet to read any recommendation about the worst item we all carry and use all day proven to be carrying the biggest number of germs and bacterias....
  16. nmna

nmna Senior Member

Are there any reports so far on the influence of Coronavirus on yacht builders' routines?

I mean, some of the yard work was probably put on hold to avoid further propagation. This will result in delays, cancellations... Italy specially, with all those small builders around, will suffer the most :(

Let's hope someone finds a cure ASAP
  17. olderboater

Well, many yacht builders in China had an extended New Years shut down period. Now, all yacht builders in Italy face the same. Until yesterday, the builder we're dealing with was still going but not today. However, even as they continued they were worried about some items being available in the near future. We're at the hull stage so it was easy, but hardware and other things would soon be a problem. They have most of what they need to finish any boats at the mid stage of production.

Now, it's the uncertainty everyone faces. A week, easy. Two weeks, ok. But how long can individuals and companies go with no money coming in?

When you think of a lockdown, we can all go fine with no manufacturing for a month or more. We can go fine without shopping retail. What we can't do is go an extended time with no revenues to pay bills and as individuals with no paychecks to buy essentials and pay mortgages or rent. It's not the "things", but it's the bills paid by producing and selling the "things."

Many yacht builders are highly leveraged with huge amounts of debt. But then can lenders force things? Not really in position to do so, so then the lenders have problems, banks are in trouble as they go a week or month with loss of revenues.

Today we face a health crisis, but then the financial crisis. Bigger than the last recession? Definitely if we have a lockdown for any period. Bigger than the depression? To the yacht industry, the threat is huge. If people suffer huge financial losses from this, they won't be buying boats. Alzira mentioned a recent show. Well, we recently placed an order for a boat. We'll completely honor it. However, today we wouldn't be placing it and likely would be delaying it at least a year.

I don't know how this will hit the US. Will we be like Germany or Italy? Will we just curtail public gatherings or have a total lockdown? The real threat to the boating industry isn't the production shut down, it's the potential of a sales drop like 2008. We could have a year or more with virtually no new boats sold. I hope it's not like that. I hope most countries have moved soon enough and strongly enough to avoid both health and financial disaster. But the threat to the boating industry is loss of sales for an extended period of time.
  18. olderboater

Excellent. I'm a big of a germaphobe and do all those things you mention. Primary physician's offices, labs, hospitals and pharmacies are the places to be avoided and on my list. I see people at even pharmacy drive throughs using the pen they're handed that the person ahead of them with the flu or even worse contagious diseases just used.

Belle has called me Monk, after the tv show, but I always use my own pen, I use wipes, I use gloves, even masks in some situations. I use gloves to pump gas, because I hate the smell of gas.

I also hate not being able to control my environment. Our trip home from Italy, we chartered. That's one business doing great right now, but we were before Covid 19. I could never get on a cruise ship even before this, giving up all control, fearing flu and norovirus.

Elevator buttons I use pen or car key or anything but don't touch.

Public restrooms frighten me and I'll do anything possible to wait until home and go to extremes if I have to use one.
  19. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Never seen any professional long haul truck drivers using gasoline as their rigs are typically diesel.
  20. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

Just in Palm Beach boat show postponed,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.