Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Coronavirus Covid 19 and Marine Industry

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by olderboater, Feb 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

COVID may be a convenient scapegoat for Flybe, but they were in dire straits long before it came along...

(from a Forbes article published today)

Another article I saw earlier today (which I cannot find now) stated that a significant portion of the tax breaks being given to Flybe were to help them meet the UK zero carbon goals in place, or coming online soon.
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

No, FLybe had financial problems long before this virus was even thought of. If South African were to shut down tomorrow as they are in terrible shape too, and they use the virus as an excuse it would be the same premise here. South African has had financial problems for a long time.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I'll rephrase. Most multi million dollar boat buyers, most very large boat buyers. I guess yacht fits, although I hate using that word.
  4. olderboater

There will be many companies to use it as an excuse and with most of them it will be at least partial but anywhere from 1% to 80% the reason.
  5. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Have a colleague who had a vacation planned in advance to Barcelona this week. Flew in Monday, connected from Paris to Barcelona, flight half full, plenty of room to stretch out and avoid interpersonal contact. So far all has gone well, getting more access to see beautiful Barcelona with lower offseason crowds.

Also heard from news sources about the head of the WHO, appears to be in the control of China after receiving $800M for investment in Ethiopia and had recently visited China and gave them the thumbs up on the handling of the situation. It has also been reported that the Military Biological Testing facility in that province has been collecting viruses from all animal types over years (just as other nations are most likely doing the same) but have had to recently jail some employees who sold the test animals from that facility into the local food markets, talk about lack of process control!
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Bahamas just announced that any non resident who has visited Iran, South Korea or Italy within 20 days will not be allowed entry in addition to China which was announced earlier.

This May affect guests flying in for spring break
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

We no see you're cat, stop asking.
    Try our Tso chicken, it's purrrrrfect
  8. olderboater

As this thread was to discuss the impact on the Marine Industry, I think it's important to note that now the two largest exporting countries for boats are locked down to various degrees, China and Italy. Now, a short time at this point and I wouldn't imagine serious damage, but could develop into such.
  9. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

How many Boatbuilders are located in the more seriously affected regions?

upload_2020-3-10_8-44-22.png
  10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's all effectively quarantined now as the entire country is. I'm pretty sure that's going to mean a lot of boat building companies locked down and no freighters to load boats to ship them out of the country.
  12. olderboater

And problems getting hardware in.
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

An old colleague forwarded the email below...

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us!

James Robb, MD FCAP
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I m still waiting for someone to explain why we have this tsunami of hysteria for a handful of deaths from a virus that’s not much worst than the flu while tens of thousands have died of the basic flu this season

thousands of gang death in inner cities so far this years. ... nobody is shutting down these neighborhoods. Thousands of deaths on the roads... thousands of death due to drugs... they received being legalized

no common sense
    Kevin likes this.
  15. olderboater

Two words. Spanish Flu.
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Theee words. 100 years ago.

You re seriously comparing the two?
  17. olderboater

I'm seriously saying that's the worst case scenario feared by many scientists. I have no idea where it's leading but the possibilities are many. We have a disease right now for which we have no vaccine and no anti-viral and for which we're still learning about. There's also no natural immunity built up to it. We're still in the information gathering stage but in isolated areas we've seen extreme rates of infection. It's also far different than flu in means of transmission and far more like Norovirus as an example. It's through strong response that we avoid tragedy and far greater issues. Had China not closed down activities and contact with the rest of the world we would be in a far worse situation than we are. If you call precaution and preparation hysteria, then that's your right, but I call them just what they are, precaution and preparation, and right now we're far behind where we should be in those areas.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Precautions are one thing. Recommending elderly people or those with illnesses that increase their chances of serious effect indeed take precautions incl not going on cruises, avoid public transportation and large groups incl churches.

Cancelling large events like concerts and sporting events also makes some sense but Shutting down an entire country like Italy goes way beyond that and into hysteria territory
  19. Ward

Ward Senior Member

I saw this a couple days ago and looked it up and it's legit... the guy who wrote it is who he says he is. The only caveat he added is that he didn't intend it to get out on the Internet, only to friends and acquaintances. The advice about zinc lozenges, for example, is apparently a bit controversial, but it makes sense if you're telling people you know "this is what I do." Sanitizing surfaces and not touching your mouth and nose are the main things I'm focussing on.
  20. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Why, can you provide scientific evidence that this isn't going to be even worse?
    The only thing we are sure of is that there's much more that we do NOT know about it, compared to what we do know.
    This is the main reason why labeling what Italy is doing as hysteric is an ignorant statement at best, and criminal at worst.

This doesn't mean that you aren't entitled to your own opinions of course, so I hope you don't mind if I express mine in not unclear terms.
    Btw, since I just spent a month and a half in California, I'm well aware that your views might be influenced by that charlatan whose speeches wouldn't be even worth hearing, if it weren't that he happens to be the US President.
    Is he still insisting that it's just a Democrat plot meant to dismiss the competence (i.e. lack of) of his own administration, or is he beginning to face the reality?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.