Click for JetForums Click for Comfort Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Coronavirus Covid 19 and Marine Industry

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by olderboater, Feb 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alzira II

Alzira II Member

Tennessee wildlife resources just sent out a real nice professional email explaining state parks, boat ramp, and waterways are open and a great way to get outdoors and your family without getting in contact with anyone else. Through the course of this conversation I’ve been wrong a couple times but I feel like this is some nice levelheaded advice.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Builders getting orders cancelled, dealers the same. All large purchases seeing the same.

But plenty of center consoles and small express cruises packing the waterways. Some areas look like holiday weekends.

If we're locked down and businesses closed six weeks or more, this will nearly as bas as the 2008 recession for the boating industry. If it's 3 months or more, this will be far worse than 2008 for them.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Palm Beach had to "ban recreational boating" after a beach party on a sand bar was advertised. Palm Beach and Miami Dade have closed ramps and marinas. Broward has not.
  4. Alzira II

Alzira II Member

I don’t know what kind of crazy you have to be at this point to purposely try and be around anyone other than your immediate group outside medical or business/ asset continuity concerns. Then again I never did fully understand the sand bar party, I like a little slice of privacy on my sand bar of the day.
  5. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

Lemme see if I have this right: 37,000 Americans died last year during the flu season (2018-19). The officials didn't shut down the country. But you are closing everything with 400 deaths?
    As my Dad would often say "yeah, right".

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/483758-coronavirus-constitutional-rights-government/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucel...ill-kill-over-30-million-people/#693da719282f

In Panama, here, there have been 3 deaths out of 245 cases

Screw it, I'm going fishing for the next couple of days
  6. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Things looking good from my window. Working towards closing on a 63' trawler - only logistical issue might be for client to fly to US to take possession after closing. Have clients looking at a 55' steel trawler and a Nordhavn. They are driving to see the boats instead of flying. Emails are still pinging. Yep, my recommendation is get on your boat, drop anchor some place beautiful, make your own water, bread, cook your food, share your germs with your onboard family/friends, and live the dream! If not now, when?!
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That s what I ve been saying since this started....

even the Bahamas... 4 cases all in the same household and they have a curfew, all non essential business closed, mailboats and ferries suspended, etc. the country is broke, hasn’t recovered from Dorian and now it is shut down. Even islands with no cases.

Mass hysteria. Shut down sporting events, movie theaters, churches etc but not the whole economy
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The stats you quote are from the full year of 2018-19 from a seasonal flu less than half as contagious as this virus. The Covid-19 numbers are for only the last month and with few tests available to even know the extent it has spread. This is not seasonal and may keep spreading indefinitely, and it's worldwide. There is also no vaccine or cure available for this. Make light of it at your own peril and the peril of those around you. My wife had a cold last week. She's a tough girl and was going to go to work until she realized that she could be responsible for endangering many others. Life has changed and it's irresponsible for anyone to not take this seriously.
  9. Alzira II

Alzira II Member

10. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Is she possibly the only boat I ever came across with a built-in urinal in the portuguese bridge?
    I believe to have recognized her on your website... Still impressive, after 20+ years!
    All the best for the closing.

Oh, and excellent recommendation indeed, I couldn't agree more!
  11. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I read an article today that raised an alarm about the viruses and their relationship with the types of animal markets in China. The article is dated 2007.
    I will find it if there is any interest.
  12. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

That number of dead people is doubling every 4 days now..... take a moment, start at 400 and project that forward to the middle of May. Go ahead, use a calculator. DO IT!

While I agree that some measures seem haphazard and that there are questions about constitutionality which will have to be discussed later, it is at this point impossible to fine tune it all and communicate it. Floating parties need to stop NOW. No one should be within 6 feet of ANYONE other than their immediate family and even then separation is prefarable.

The non-believers on this forum need to get their head out of their scupper. Take some time and do some reading on the web. Exponential and rapid growth of a virus of non human origin to which there is ZERO immunity is, within a few weeks, going to lead to a substantial portion of the population needing ICU care which will NOT be available. A million plus will die, possibly more, unless we slow this thing down.

I am not an alarmist, I was in the "meh" camp. But I am also a realist and science is REAL. The numbers don't lie. And yes it's mostly older people but not strictly. Humor me.... read this:

https://www.propublica.org/article/...ilure-from-covid19-even-in-his-young-patients

Maybe you have watched our president, whether you like him or not, give DAILY briefings with some VERY somber undertones.

Maybe you are aware of the fact that our economy has halted and that the estimate is for MILLIONS to be unemployed in the next few months.

Maybe you are aware that entire industries are at the brink of collapse.

Maybe you are aware that air travel is about NON EXISTENT at this point and save some cargo the airplanes that are flying are EMPTY.

I've been doing a lot of studying, trying to separate fact from fiction. I'll be happy to share with those that are ready to accept the fact that this is NOT a drill.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  13. timvail

timvail Senior Member

I agree. This covid-19 IS NOT THE FLU.
  14. RER

RER Senior Member

I hate being told what to do. Always have. I was skeptical because I always am. But not now. I’m cooperating with the call to isolate at home except essential services. Food etc. I’m fortunate that I can go for walks and not interact with others as I am in a rural setting at my house in the desert.

Unfortunately some people don’t want to take this seriously. Those that can’t be cooperative I hope are nowhere near me when I do have to go out for food. A person can be positive and not even know it with effects that appear as mild as a few days of the blahs. The problem is one person could still pass it to others which could multiply by literally thousands. Look at what’s going on in Italy. So, each of us can choose to think outside ourself, or be an asshat.
  15. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Just a little reality check for you. 800 people a day are dying in Italy. Every day.
  16. Alzira II

Alzira II Member

holy sh--. Rarely I see inspiring journalism, that was a simple but powerful report.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

2 weeks ago there wasn't a single case of Covid-19 on Long Island. Tonight's headline reads: Suffolk’s one-week coronavirus toll: 12 lives lost, confirmed cases rise from 41 to 1,034.
    Anybody think this is a joke or business as usual? How are those plans for summer in the Hamptons going?
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Gee... 12 death a week in Suffolk county. And how many babies aborted, innocent people killed by drunk drivers (many of them illegals) along with drug overdoses. Thank you China just like co19.

Precautions yes. Shutting down the country no

Most people will be fine... heck, both of us got really sick on Jan 1st a few days after attending the dec 27 Pirates Party in Staniel cay, which back then had a lot chinese tourists. We didn’t know what it was except that we never get sick for flu or colds. Anti virals prescribed by the clinic didnt work. Eventually after 3!to 4 weeks symptoms went away (fever cough shortness of breath aches ).

bottom line this is not Ebola. Not even close. It s a stronger flu. How about we stop relying on Commie China for everything ??? A country with massive Hygiene issues and eating weird things. Yeah I was born in France where they eat frog legs ..
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I suspect that if you reread that post in the morning you might want to delete it. and it's 12 deaths IN a week, not 12 deaths A week. The death toll here rose by 0ver 300% this week. Care to extrapolate that out for the weeks ahead? Here let me help. It means we can expect 36 deaths next week, 108 the following, 324 the week after that and 972 the week after that. In the 5th week we can expect 2,916. The confirmed cases rose from 41 to 1,034 in one week and I suspect the death toll will be rising in proportion.
  20. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

The high population density in the Northeast is a perfect opportunity for the spread of cases, most of the US population is along the Eastern seaboard.

It strikes me that the Northern Italian population/dna may respond less robustly to this virus than other populations?

Did have a conversation with my parents and we talked about the 1963 flu epidemic in the States, call it the Asian flu or A2 influenza strain. I had a brief hospital stay as an infant and the US had death totals of over 10,000 people during that outbreak.

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdf/10.2105/AJPH.54.4.563

It will be interesting how this country treats the trade-off between mandatory isolation and all that entails versus mortality rates, just what is the exact tipping point to politicians who make these decision for all of us?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.