Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Mulder

Cool Cat...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Dec 16, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Attached Files:

2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You are right, I have a few similar designs in my files, like this 55 Hybrid Carbon Cat...

C55-4-1.png

My latest cat however, is a little more adapted to todays situation...

C3.jpg
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

305AA97F-D763-45E3-8D00-99A3803B9419.jpeg Lars: Not much reserve buoyancy on the C3 bows?
    I would think that design would stuff the bows even on a good day..:(
    I did occasionally on my 2016 Glacier Bay 2770: Going into the weather at slow
    speed leaving Fort Lauderdale for the Bahamas, at the inlet, both bows would
    submerge and the foredeck would scope up cold salt water and deliver it in the
    wheel house where we had the small front window open for ventilation.
    The crew and the electronics would be drenched in salt water and I would curse the glamours World Cat advertising promoting the cats as a magic carpet ride in rough weather.
    Not impressed and I sold the 2770 after 18 months with numerous trips to the Keys and one Bahamas cruise. (Needed seat belts for the Gulf Stream crossings.)
    The next boat, an Albin 28TE was better and more seaworthy for the crossings and it had more reserve buoyancy with a flared bow.

What say you Lars?
    Are Clipper Bows out of vogue despite the benefits of buoyancy if you stuff the bow in bad weather?
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This depends on a couple of things, I think. Let's say that the bow line starts at the present waterline and sloping forward, this will extend the deck and add some buoyancy of course. If you instead start at the deck level and sloping back in the same angle, you will lose buoyancy compared to the design I have. The second thing is of course the weight, we are building in carbon fiber and the protruding parts will be empty. I have also added a chine line to deflect the spray, which is not so common on plumb bows, perhaps because designers are looking at sailing yachts design..?
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yes, this is the classic Clipper Bow: The buoyancy would increase as the bow goes down into the ocean.

A catamaran would look weird with 2 clipper bows, but it sure would keep the deck from becoming a water scoop.?
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

This is ancient history but It applies to Norse's issue.

F Lee Baily owned a power cat similar to yours.
    I'm not sure of the brand but think one of the early Glacier Bay or World cat models but not positive.
    He hated every inch of it.

Every time he tried to go out Boynton inlet, it would stuff.
    We went out Boynton for a ride one night. We discovered he was running to slow.
    He still hated the boat, mostly because Trish (wife) hated the way he drove it (to slow).
    Trish passed shortly after I left the area.

I did not care for the boat my self but was showing my asp off to a big wig.
    Just was an od feeling leaning and pitching in uncomfortable directions.
    Rum did help but it was still weird.

Baily owned Spellbound,, Sister ship to Dreamchaser that I was managing at that time at Manalapan (Boynton inlet).
    He visited often.

I was on a Twin Vee open a couple of years ago.
    I still did not like it.

Amazing,,, I delivered a Mares Cat down from Jax one weekend many years ago. That did not feel strange at all.
    Smooth water and enclosed may have helped.

Just something about a single keel that keeps me balanced,, or closer to it..
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, I was aware of the speed issue: Go fast to get the bows up and avoid the stuffing problem, etc.
    Tried every speed and every angle to find the Magic Carpet ride.
    Yes, going full power and trimmed Bows Up would somehow keep the bows
    from going under, but it would also be the ride from hell: Seat belts and shoulder
    harnesses highly recommended.
    I owned the Glacier Bay/World Cat for 18 months and realized it was perfect for
    high speed cruises in Biscayne Bay: It would handle light chop really well and
    run at 33 knots if needed, but I didn't enjoy the 2 screaming motors in the back doing high speed for hours.
    (Guess I am still a sailboater by heart: Cruise in peace and quiet with style..:cool:)
    Sold the 2770 after 18 months ownership and got more than I paid for it brand
    new. (Still in shock)
    All good, no regrets, but the Gulf Stream crossings was no match for the little cat despite the hype.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember.
    I think the Albin was closer to your heart and better for your lil charter work.

Looking forward to a water side tour of da new hood.
    You in yet?
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, the Albin was better suited for our needs: Light cruising with occasional charters.
    That being said, I did charter the Glacier Bay, it was popular with the clients: "Wow, brand new boat, how cool is that", etc.

Not in yet, the house is still being built, not impressed with the mistakes being made, the 3 stooges could have done better.:rolleyes:
    Building a house is a bit like making sausages, you don't want to see how it is being done.

Renting a house in Palm Coast in the meantime. (Freezing temperatures forecast later this week, hope the heater works good..Ouch.)
  10. BlueNomad

BlueNomad Member

Certainly helps to minimise bow stuffing in larger seas but also keeps things a lot drier on deck under normal conditions.

Attached Files: