Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Furuno

Converting xenon G4 20w 24v lamps to led

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by CSkipR, Feb 13, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Considering changing out the xenon 20w 24v G4 lamps but have found most of the led 20w bulbs are 5/8" diameter where the xenon are only 3/8". This creates an issue since the thicker led bulb will not fit in the fixture because of the inside reflective lens being too close. Anyone have a simple solution?
  2. widget777

widget777 New Member

I am going to replace all my G4 bulbs with LEDs also. Most of mine will be down light applications with the lamp in the cabin overhead. The design that you need is unique to the lamp design and use. Do you need a 360 degree light source or can the light source be only 180 degrees? For example, are these lights in the cabin overhead that shine downward? In that case you need a 140 degree led configuration since there is no reason to direct light up into the reflective surface of the light. Lunasea has a terrific assortment of bulbs that fit the G4 plug geometry. For my down lights I have tested a LLB-216W-21-00 flat led design and it works great.
  3. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

4. widget777

widget777 New Member

I will check the wattage of my halogens tomorrow. The Lunasea has the equivalent light output to my halogens. talk to you tomorrow
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I was hoping Skippy J would jump in here. We had a post long ago about 32vdc lamps to LEDs. I remembered he found a great source to get the better 24vdc LEDs to replace his project's xenon lamps.
    Here in south Georgia (Jax FL) I tap on superbrightleds.com when we have to. Usually we stay with what we have till it breaks. The cost of the led stuff is starting to come down to make change overs more practical. Not there yet $$$.
  6. about time

about time Member

replaced all my g4 overhead with imtra leds. working with 12v, not 24. Choose the cool white, found them to be brighter than the g4, but not as bright as the warm light, which I found to be obtrusive. Purchased the bulbs through lewis. fig 2603, part 967, very happy with them.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I never ended up buying them, and forgot who manufactured them. But for a 32 volt system you have to find the ones rated 10-36 volts...... The ones rated 10-32 volts, which are most common won't work on a 32 volt system that charges at 36 volts. 2700K color mimics the origional halogens exactly. I do know the cabo fixtures don't have a lot of extra room and it's hard just to replace the g 4 bulb itself. I think the flat disk type (look like a pancake) are the shortest in length and would probably work...... I'll try to do some research tonight.
  8. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

Not sure I understand the OP issue exactly. I have had very good luck dealing with MarineBeam. They really understand the issues in boats for leds, quality is very high. I would advise giving them a call or email, rather than just rely on he website if you don't see what you are looking for. BTW they have an elegant and cheap way of converting 32v to 12 for this purpose.

Marinebeam Replacement LED bulbs for your existing boat fixtures

Highly recommended.
  9. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Converting halogen bulbs to LED

Thanks guys for the help. Trying to determine what lumens the 20w xenon (halogen) put out so I can purchase LED with the equivalent lumens. The led bulb that widget mentions might fit the bill just need to find out the lumens they both put out.
    Regarding my recessed ceiling light fixtures has anyone ever found a place to purchase them. They evidently were made in Italy and are not made anymore. I had one of the springs pop out and break off the little tab on the fixture so it won't stay attached to the fixture.
  10. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

CSkipR,
    Could they be Cantalupi light fixtures? They were marketed by many vendors at one time, but market direct in the US, now. You can find them by searching "Cantalupi".
  11. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

That is the fixture name. I just went on website but could not find my exact in white but will try later.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Try Cabo Yachts, they might still have new ones in stock. Cantelupi changes models very often, but the springs are universal through a lot of their line in the same size cutout.
  13. widget777

widget777 New Member

G4 wattage

CSKIPR
    I checked on the wattage for my current overhead G4 bulbs and they are 10 watt. The Lunasea bulb I talked about in an earlier reply is equivalent to the 10 watt G$ bulb. These are not fully dimable. The factory rep told me that they will dim to about 40% of output then they shut off.