Click for Dockmate Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for ZF Click for Llebroc

Convertible, 30-38' length, 20+ knot cruise, headroom 6'1"+

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by Notonshore, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Notonshore

Notonshore New Member

Hey all,
    I know people ask similar "what boat should I get" questions on a regular basis but I've never seen these specific parameters so I'm asking my own version of the question.

I want a boat for the Channel Islands (Catalina, etc.) in SoCal, mooring up as a liveaboard in various harbors and coves for 2-7 days at a time, frequently solo but occasionally with girlfriend or other friends, something seaworthy offshore in the Pacific, something relatively quick and fun (20+ knots cruise), have a generator, AC/heat, watermaker, etc. (some of these systems could be acquired later). I think an upper and lower helm would be ideal so I could be in the salon while underway as an option, but I know most modern convertibles don't offer that.

I've been considering Riviera 33, 34 and 36 convertibles, Lindell 36, and Mediterranean 38 for their upper and lower helm options. And more generally Luhrs 32, 34 and 36 convertibles, Skipjack 30, Cabo 35 (mostly above my pricepoint). Any others I should consider?

I'm happy to consider other sedans, downeast, maybe expresses etc. that fit my needs but I'm finding that slightly older small-to-medium convertibles are hard to beat when it comes to seaworthiness, speed, and useable cabin/salon area for cruising in an affordable (less than $170k) package.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Skip Luhrs, their quality is low. I'd go for the Cabo 35'.
  3. Robertoman

Robertoman Member

Look at a well cared for Californian or Navigator. Exactly what you want.
  4. RER

RER Senior Member

Both were builders of primarily trawler/pilot house boats. Navigator never made more than a handful of convertibles in that size range. Californian will be 30+ years old - and I would not expect the ability to cruise above 20 knots.

And to the OP you mentioned 35’ Cabo is above your budget. As is your +20 knot cruise speed. It will be difficult to achieve that in an older inexpensive convertible.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think if he looks hard enough. Perhaps an Ocean SF?
  6. RER

RER Senior Member

Perhaps his best shot ...three models in that size range with some built into the late 1990's and with Cummins power.
  7. ranger42c

ranger42c Senior member

Older Viking or Hatteras?

Newer Silverton? Latest convertibles were drawn by Blount...

-Chris