Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder

comparison : viking 35 and uniflite 36

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by phildehazya, Jul 20, 2010.

1. phildehazya

phildehazya New Member

Hello- There are a couple of convertables locally available that I'm interested in. Im somewhat familiar with the Viking (these are late 70's early 80's models) but by reputation only. Never rode on one. Also available is a late 70's Uniflite 36 convertable. Dont know this one at all, except they were supposed to have bullet proof (figuratively speaking) fiberglass hulls. Dont know how they ride or perform. Anyone out there familiar with Uniflite and how it would compare to a Viking?

Thanks for any help.

PD
  2. Mark I

Mark I Member

I am familiar with both boats. Best friend had a Viking 35 and my father had a 36 Uniflite.

The Viking 35 is a solid riding boat. It is much more efficient with diesels and better than original if repowered with modern gas engines but not great with the original 454 Crusaders. It is a relatively heavy boat so the original gas engines will be thirsty and the boat will be comparatively slow. The Vee berth is a bit cramped and the toilet in the shower was always a turn off for me. Otherwise, a great boat.

The Uniflite is a solid riding boat. Originally designed for heavier diesels, it will be a bit light in the stern with gas engines. Same issues as the Viking with fuel efficiency but I think it draws a little less so is a bit better on fuel. Fairly comfortable inside with a separate stall shower. My Dad's had a lower helm that took up alot of salon space and the windows always leaked. The big issue with Uniflite was hull blisters. Especially in the years when they used fire resistent resin. I believe that is what put them out of business. The hull is a good design that was used in military boats in Vietnam and was later used on some Chris Craft models when Uniflite went out of business. Properly repaired blisters wouldn't scare me off but a good hull survey is necessary for either boat.

I believe the Uniflite should sell for quite a bit less than the Viking. I think they sold alot more Uniflites on the West coast than the East so there aren't too many around.

Good luck.
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

Uniflites built after 1975 can develop serious blister problems. Because they produced hulls for the U.S. Navy they used a fire retardant called Hetron which was made by Dupont. When Dupont ceased production of Hetron in 1975 Uniflite changed to a different product and that's when the blister problems began. And while they are most serious below the waterline, I have seen early 1980's models with blisters throughout the gel coat surface of the entire boat. Flybridge, cabin sides, everywhere, and it's not a pretty site. ...Google 'Uniflite blisters'
  4. phildehazya

phildehazya New Member

Thank you both very much for the information.
    PD