Click for Delta Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Coastal Passage Experience & Training

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by Henning, Oct 28, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Charter

When I purchased the Hatteras in Florida, it was difficult to get local Insurance due to foreign ownership, I did get excellent coverage through a Cdn Co. but had to flag the vessel Canadian, if it ever got to Canada I would have to pay the import taxes, that is unlikely, would try to sell it here (offshore).

I understood a US built hull , foreign flagged, could apply to Congress to get its US hull designation re implemented but that's what I was told whether true I don't know.

Foreign flagged vessels want to coastwise (not day trade) charter in Canada can apply and receive permission provided no Cdn vessel objects, I think they have to re apply annually, there were two vessels in Vancouver who went through that process and were successful. Left town after a while...not enough business.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

There was mention earlier of "ghost" contracts. A true bareboat arrangement places the boat under almost limitless control of the charterer. He's free to choose his own crew. A while back there was a crackdown, and the charter owners began a practice of giving the bareboat charterer a list of 3 captains to choose from with it understood that they were to pick the one on top. Technically making it legal. Most have since dropped the subterfuge and the government has turned a blind eye. But if it's put into their face, then what applies is:
    "The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (P.L. 66-261) is a United States Federal statute that regulates maritime commerce in U.S. waters and between U.S. ports.
    Cabotage
    The cabotage provisions restrict the carriage of goods or passengers between United States ports to U.S. built and flagged vessels. Since 2006 it has been codified as portions of 46 U.S.C. ch.551 (Coastwise Trade). At least 75 percent of the crewmembers must be U.S. citizens. Moreover, the steel of foreign repair work on the hull and superstructure of a U.S.-flagged vessel is limited to 10 percent by weight. This restriction largely prevents American shipowners from refurbishing their ships at overseas shipyards.

-CITE-
    46 USC Sec. 55103 02/01/2010

-EXPCITE-
    TITLE 46 - SHIPPING
    Subtitle V - Merchant Marine
    Part D - Promotional Programs
    CHAPTER 551 - COASTWISE TRADE

-HEAD-
    Sec. 55103. Transportation of passengers

-STATUTE-
    (a) In General. - Except as otherwise provided in this chapter or
    chapter 121 of this title, a vessel may not transport passengers
    between ports or places in the United States to which the coastwise
    laws apply, either directly or via a foreign port, unless the
    vessel -
    (1) is wholly owned by citizens of the United States for
    purposes of engaging in the coastwise trade; and
    (2) has been issued a certificate of documentation with a
    coastwise endorsement under chapter 121
    or is exempt from
    documentation but would otherwise be eligible for such a
    certificate and endorsement.

(b) Penalty. - The penalty for violating subsection (a) is $300
    for each passenger transported and landed."
  3. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Henning?

What happened to Henning? He shook a hornet's nest and then left? I guess he has nothing else to say.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The messege is more important than the messenger. These days, with competition for the dollar high, I'd watch my Ps & Qs and keep well on the right side of the law.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Not according to that particular messenger. I see he is beating the bushes looking for new gig.

I guess OZ could live without him and I suspect the "bestest friend" may have reconsidered the relationship as well.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Leave it to you to hold my feet to the fire.:) OK, I should have put "should be' instead of "is" and added 'to us' on the end. Jeesh, some days a guy just can't catch a break.:D As to the rest, all I can say is that before you step you'd best look down. A dog may have traveled that path before you.:D
  7. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Henning

I have to admit, I always a get a kick out of seeing his avatar. I picture him running over a buoy about 2 seconds later because he is so focused on his photo! :D