Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

Classic yacht Argosy

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by HTMO9, Jan 25, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

This thread causes an itch that I haven't felt in about 5 or 6 years.....
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hide the check book and count to 10 (million).
    We were 5 or 6 years younger when you last felt that itch.
    471B9936-902B-4CE6-AD09-D8694B202583.jpg
    It is getting harder to reach that gizmo, that I easily installed on my own boat just a few years ago.
  3. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I'm fresh off 30 days of chasing a gremlin in the Atlas system with irregular and intermittent cutouts. It's moments like that which remind me not to go even larger. I don't want a crew, but I at least need a hand just to maintain what I have. I'm happy to employ that hand, but I prefer the privacy.

That being said, I still feel the itch. I think I need to convince someone to buy into one of my day dreams and let me spend their money and leave them to their upkeep. But the satisfaction is off the charts when I'm aboard...
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yes, spending OPM, Other Peoples Money on a boat can be therapeutic.

I used to enjoy learning a new customers boat. I would spend a few days taking hundreds of pictures and a note book of notes.
    Any time we worked on a boat, everybody's phone cameras were working all day long. Just reaching behind a blind bulkhead with a cell camera was always rewarding.
    We also found tools and eye glasses lost during factory builds.
    When I'd load the pictures on the computer, it was easy to delete the many poor pictures and keep that one good pic.
    Years later, I still get calls "where is/what is" questions that I have an answer for.
    Before my servers demise, I copied all the better customers files onto DVDs.
    Gave them to the owners but kept some copies of my favorites and ongoing projects.
    One boat is over 100G in pics, videos, manuals and text.

I can still look up a DVD and remember, I fixed that Bug and here are the pics and notes.
    This is where the Ibuprofen (or better) come in,, patting myself on my back hurts when you get old...
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

have you called Atlas? Their service and techs are very good. I ve had a couple of issues in the last 15 months and always good support sometimes from one of the tech over the phone. We just did some preventive maintenance incl replacing fans, capacitors and contactors. Their tech really knew the system and very helpful explaining everything
  6. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Absolutely. Victor is on speed dial, and we’ve spent hours working through the issues. Pretty much everything has been replaced bit by bit. Ultimately my hope is that the issue was within the output CPU module in the Smart Box. We’ll see.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

He knows his stuff…. That’s my fear with this system. Very complex
  8. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Now that I've spent this much time in it I somewhat understand it...but the issue has been intermittent and not affiliated with load. I had a tech for the inverter/frequency drive out for a day as well, but that system is working as it should. Basically the Atlas system is monitoring the incoming voltage, and as that fluctuates due to quality of incoming voltage it makes decisions relative to the transformer boost and various contactors.

But this is hijacking a terrific thread, so...