Click for MotorCheck Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Abeking

Class-action lawsuit bought against Caterpillar...

Discussion in 'Engines' started by YachtForum, Jan 30, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henning

Henning Senior Member

5 years is about the life limit of any bare metal part running in raw water. Zincs only prevent electrolytic loss.
  2. jimpet

jimpet New Member

Aftercooler failure Cat3208TA

Are you implying that zinc anodes have no effect on dezincification of the bronze aftercooler flanges?.

This is not consistent with the observation that the bronze propellors are generally adequately protected (by zinc anodes).

The corrosion of the flanges is quite agressive and I am concerned that
    1. The heat exchanger zinc anodes are a little remote to offer protection.
    2. The aluminium aftercooling housing may be playing a part in this process.

Why is the zinc being leached out of the bronze and why aren't there anodes in the intercooler itself. Is there a bonding problem in this location? Why does this problem remain unsolved?
  3. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Am surprised that bronze has enough zinc in it to create a problem, no expert, but, regular brass valves have too much zinc for use in salt water and indeed, can also fail in fresh water due to stress shock caused by the zinc content, perhaps too much zinc in the bronze???
    Aluminum and bronze should not be in contact with each other.
  4. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Aluminum Bronze is an alloy in use specifically because it can be used in contact with aluminum, and is (relatively) corrosion resistant. You would have to find DZR brass valves if you were going to use brass in this kind of application, I'd think. I'm certain one of the learned engineers on the board will pop in with authoritatively correct information.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I'll go along with that. With a zinc content around 0 percent, bronze alloys created for marine use don't have problems in seawater applications.

They can co-exist quite well, but not in the presence of an electrolyte like seawater.

And just for the record, this applies to Al-Bronze as well. The aluminium in Al-bronze is not there to make it get along with Al, it's there for machinablity, hardness, strength, and excellent corrosion resistance.
  6. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

We used it in land applications primarily because it played nicely with AL, when used in gate valves for pipe manifolds.

YMMV aboard a ship.
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Uh, let me look at the name of this website again ....
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Yep, it's YachtForums. And the last few posts were about metals in seawater and on boats not tractors so I think it is fair to say that the miles here are nautical, not terrestrial and they don't vary much.
  10. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Point being, you went out of your way to contradict a statement which was valid, in order to present one which was not entirely so.

Your act is tiresome.

You would do well to remember that most lurkers on this board are owners, not engineers. Your manner reflects poorly on yourself and your industry.
  11. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

No, point being you stated that "Aluminum Bronze is an alloy in use specifically because it can be used in contact with aluminum, and is (relatively) corrosion resistant."

Before you get even more sanctimonious keep in mind that you posted a patently untrue statement and when corrected you came back with some nonsense about how it works on terrestrial applications. Then you added that really ridiculous YMMV thing ... ridiculous statements beg for ridicule. And since, as you point out, most readers are not engineers, it is even more important to show bad information for what it is.

If you post garbage, expect to be corrected. If you don't know what you are talking about but feel compelled to write something, at least take the time to research the topic before posting. If you don't like my "act" don't read my posts. And stop whining.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have been on this forum for a few years now, and the reason I come here is that it is a great group of people that are mature adults and help each other out and there are a lot of very knowledgable people on here that have a lot of experience they share.

SAVE THE RIDICULE, nobody needs it.

Nobody has a problem being corrected on this forum and most everyone on here does it in a very imformative and mature manner, and most everyone is happy to learn new things, but they don't need to be told by someone that comes across as the spoiled little brat who always has to ridicule someone else to make them feel better......
  13. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I do save it ... for those who have earned it.
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This thread is so far off course, it's RIDICULous. Let's move on to another thread. This one is closed for awhile.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.