Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights

Choosing the right radar unit

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Austin Moran, May 17, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Did you know, Navonics can update your C-Map chip on line.
    Visit their (Navonics) web site for details.
  2. Joe Graceffo

Joe Graceffo New Member

If that 72 mi radar is still functioning, you don't need to replace it. It may need a magnetron replacement if the signal is getting weak, but it should have a diagnostics page in the menu that will tell you (or a technician) how strong the magnetron is. That radar may already have an ARPA board in it or is upgradable with an ARPA board, which I would highly recommend. It would need a SATCOMPASS to provide it with proper GPS, Heading and Speed inputs. I had a 72 mi Simrad in my last boat with the ARPA feature and used it extensively in the True motion mode, with the trails (as CaptJ) suggested, essential in fog situations.
  3. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

The course up feature is a relatively simple software update. The Ipad app display function worked fine with my unit installed 10 months ago- we could look at the display of the unit thru the ipad anywhere on the boat - same thing with a iphone. I did not try to control the unit with the ipad however. YMMV