Click for Northern Lights Click for MotorCheck Click for Comfort Click for Delta Click for Abeking

Choosing a yard to build a new yacht?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NEO56, Jun 12, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

2. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Beautiful boat, but you can't fish off of her....gotta be able to drag a lure spread while I'm cruising. Speaking of which..isn't my boat gonna look funny sporting a pair of triple spreader outriggers???
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Moonen offers aluminum in the size range you're looking at as well and goes from explorer yachts to what they call fast displacement. There would be three American builders offering custom metal boats but neither one of them seems to have much going on at the moment and I don't know whether I'd trust them to build or not. It would take some deeper research on one and the other two I doubt I would right now as they're really concentrating on commercial.

Now in glass, there are several semi-custom builders in the US in the size range you're looking at. And I'd recommend semi custom, where you can get a proven hull and engine and equipment combinations but customize the interior. Hatteras has both 80' and 100'. Westport has 98', 112' and 130'. And there's also Christiansen, which is primarily custom but they're building Ocean Alexander's 120'.

With your interest in fishing, I'd look at McKinna. Their 94 might interest you. The owner of ACY also built a 90' ACY. Jim Smith's 95' might interest you.

And then traditional Chinese manufacturer's would include Horizon and Hargrave.

Now nothing against Outer Reef, but a lot against what you have going on with them. It would be one thing to build their 86' or if you wanted an explorer type, which I don't think you do, their 108', but proceeding on a custom boat with an unknown hull just doesn't make sense to me.

Getting a boat built has enough risks (See "Baden") so doing anything that adds to them appreciably can get you in big trouble. If you proceed on a custom boat anywhere then you need someone representing you who has knowledge of building custom boats.
  4. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Thanks olderboater,
    Aluminum is completely out...too much maintenance, among other things. I haven't spoken with Hatteras yet, not sure they'd put a cockpit as large as I want on one of their boats. And to this day, nobody has been able to sell me on a cored hull. I've heard all the great things about cored hulls, just can't wrap my head around them...which leaves out Westport, Westship, etc. I've looked at Ocean Alexander, but they are very proud of their boats. I haven't really explored Horizon yet....but I will.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, it's refreshing to be able to get this kind of knowledge and experience in one Forum.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Maybe you just need a Jim Smith. Something along the lines of Marlena.....a 104' SF. Built right in Stuart, Florida......
  6. NEO56

NEO56 Member

I know about Jim Smith but they are planing hulls. That's why I didn't go with a big Viking (other than cored hulls) they don't carry enough fuel, and the power plants are so large, that at cruise speed you can hardly get out of sight of land. I just want a semi displacement hull with a cockpit...but she has to be strong enough to do serious blue water cruising in all kinds of weather. I want to be able to go out into 12-15 foot seas without worrying if the boat is going to stay together. I've gotten to the point in my life where I don't need to "cruise" at 25-30 knots. The only reason for a semi displacement hull is to be able to out run hurricanes.....well that's not true, just want to be able to get out of the storm track. The only SF I would consider is a Mikelson designed by Tom Fexas, but their biggest boat is a 75.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You can always run a SF at displacement speeds or any fast yacht (aside from Jet propulsion) and get the same range as the OR or one built to do 12 knots max. If you want 12-15' seas and semi-displacement, I'd be looking towards Steel and not fiberglass. But that's just me.
  8. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Hi K1W1,
    Trolling speed for a lure set is 6-8 knots, unless your fishing for wahoo then it's much faster. So to answer your question, no time isn't a factor, I'm in no hurry, it's the old saying, It's not the destination, it's the journey.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you need to do 15 to 20 kts to get your preferred fish I guess you will either need SD or a much bigger displacement vessel capable of doing those speeds.
  10. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Maybe I can find a lazy or suicidal Wahoo....I can catch most of my target fish between 6-10 knots.
  11. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Hmmmmmmmm.

Just curious, have you taken the time to eye the Mikelson 75?

Installed CAT's expected to purr mightily, if needed.

Taken a walk-through, discussed your desires?

Mikelson 75 Luxury Sportfisher, Long Range Fishing Boats for Sale
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Have you ever given displacement boats a good look?

They might be better overall if you look at the space available, the ride and the longevity of a tough beast, especially of you are looking to fish way offshore in various far flung locations.
  13. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Hi Old Phart,
    If it were just me, I'd be all over the Mikelson 75 like a cheap suit...but I'm starting a new company, and the boat will double as not only my home, but as an entertainment platform for Clients/Customers, so I need a boat with a "yachtier" (is that a word?) feel and look to her. I have long been a fan of Mikelson's and their 75 would suit me just fine. I have walked through the 75, and again, if it were me, their 61 raised pilothouse would be a choice of mine as well. Although they no longer offer the 61 on their website, it still is available.
  14. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Yes K1W1, I have considered a displacement hull...but seeing how she's going to spend most of time in the Caribbean, I'd like the ability to put the throttles into the corner and run at 17-20 knots to get out of the storm track of a Hurricane. There's not a whole lot of places to hide down there, so I'm stuck between pulling her out or getting out of the way of the storm.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You can run modern electronic diesels at slow speeds for 6hrs, then run them at cruise 30 mins and you should be fine with most of them.

You can just tie the boat to a strong dock and secure it properly and ride it out. This tends to be the best thing IMO. Generally they fare worse out of the water with full wind on them. One falls over, they all fall over. Generally most of the time when you run from a Hurricane you end up running into it's path.
  16. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

In four hours? Oh but halfway you're saying in two hours? Did you check before starting? Was it already at 6-9' or what? 10-12' or 15' doesn't just happen instantly with no forecast or warning between Bimini and Miami. That's 50 miles.
  17. NEO56

NEO56 Member

O.K. olderboater you caught me...it was 4-6 leaving Miami, I was trying to make a point. I was told that the Earth actually curves between Miami and Bimini, which is why they call it the "Hump"(midway). I'm not an idiot, and I'm sure the Earth does curve but not enough to change sea conditions. I assume that it due to the depth of the Gulf Stream and any prevailing Northerlies will stack up the Seas at the half way point.

Back then we didn't know to call Walt Hack and consult with him. Live and learn.
  18. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

If this is your disaster avoidance plan, best be sure the boat has the fuel capacity to get out of the way and stay out of the way. All that speed is for naught if you can only run a couple of days before looking to refuel.
  19. sunchaserv

sunchaserv Member

You have received some good advice on contracts and boat building. You say a cockpit is desired for fishing. Assuming that money well spent is on your list too, have you considered a Nordhavn YF. Having spent time on both a Nordhavn and OR, the engineering, build quality, range and sea keeping is in Nordhavn's corner.

Nordhavn's reputation for adherence to contracts and guaranteed completion price are well established. Commissioning success is also a plus with several hundred done over the past two decades.

A new build OA on a new unproven hull seems a big risk and gives you a one of a kind which can be problematic. Successful large yacht building over the years has a well known history, it would seem a course correction should be considered given the marked rocky waters on the horizon.
  20. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Admin Edit: the posts in this thread have been split from a thread on Cat gensets and retitled to better reflect the discussion.

Let's all make an effort to stay on topic.