Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for MotorCheck

Chiller help

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by Seasmaster, Mar 4, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Install looks good, almost there. Ours has been running like a top for a couple of months. Sunday went down to check the boat and one of the new salon a/h's was making a noise. Will have to pull and repair/replace, the squirrel cage is loose on the shaft. More OJT....
  2. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

FINALLY!! Yes, finally the system piping is completed and AHU's and chiller hooked up to power. Before adding 4 gal of glycol, we flushed the system to get all the junk and packing oil out. Today we ran the system for about 3 hours and the boat cooled off much faster than I remember - you know, when you first buy it, "it's all good" cuz we are "under the ether".

My question though, has to do with the chiller set points for cooling. The DOMETIC chiller has a range of 42-55 deg (f). What would be "optimum"? Since the chiller is variable speed, I could foresee the chiller working less that 100% at 55 deg, but perhaps running a little longer before cycling off. Do any of the HVAC guru's here have an idea?

Latest pictures: The controller
    Controller.jpeg

The chiller:
    Chiller.jpg
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

11 months later;
    Your THE GURU now....
    :D:D;);)

Sounds like another factory call.
  4. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

Yeah. It’s been a long grind. The hardest part was running the copper, then bending where necessary, then pro-press the fittings, then insulating. Some of the spaces were really tight.

Now we’re on to insulating valves and the fittings (pro-press) and CW pump. The interior of the boat is still torn up though.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Need to fill up Carl's drives with with pictures of your fine work. Detail the insulation of the devices and air handlers.
    How you ran the copper standing on your head and improvements like that.

Oh Mater Guru of Chilled Systems.

Pain heals, Chicks dig scars, A fine HVAC with pictures last (near) forever.
  6. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

7. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

Haven't gotten the refractometer reading, but I calculated the volume of the piping and came up with 6 gallons. When I flushed and drained the system I got a little over 5 gallons out each time (flushed several times, obviously to get all the debris out). I put in 4 gallons of DOWFROST, so I'm feeling very confident that nothing is going to freeze. DOMETIC's recommendation was not less than 20%.
  8. v10builder1

v10builder1 Senior Member

For cooling in general, a lower chilled water temperature would result in colder coils in the air handlers, which would result in more condensation on the coils, which means more moisture removed from the circulating air. If the condensate draining pan/piping cannot handle that much removed condensate, setting the chilled water temperature higher would help at the cost of discharge air not feeling as cold.
  9. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

You will add some water when you bring loop pressure up to spec and likely will have to add some more after bleeding the system. If you air handlers thermostat control allows you to program the valve open for a few hours it will help move the air to the spiro vent, easy way to bleed and not loose any glycol but still have to add water to bring pressure back up. I bought some 70% glycol to add and boost the % mixture up, ours is probably closer to 22/ 23 %.
  10. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I found a sweet spot with Chiller 1 set 44 to 54 and Chiller 2 set 49 to 56. System seems to find on most days that it only cals for Chiller 1, and condensate pans stay relatively dry in most places that are away from windows. The units near big glass drain quite a bit. Loop spends most time between 48 and 54.

Truth be told, I'm contemplating adding a 2 ton 24v DC chiller unit, setting it up as the primary. I think the big 5's could sit idle quite often. Seems like it would be a simple add that can be shut down in the hottest months. Boat would even be quieter at night, I think.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Keep us up on this.
    I'm looking at fixing up a Hatt on inverters so that when running, no gen set needed.
    Even for the wheel house A/C unit.
    Our Bertram is all inverter and batteries just no A/C.
    On those hot days running with the wind, I sure could use an A/C unit blowing on us in the wheelhouse also.
  12. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

More pictures of the install:
    V-Berth
    01IMG_VBerth9263.jpeg
    01IMG_VBerth9263.jpeg

Had to run copper under this berth, without access from underneath. It had to run from the hanging locker towards the AHU in the peak.

02IMG_VBerth 1808.jpeg

This was the run in the hanging locker (continuing to "frame right" of picture.

03IMG_VBerth lkr3124.jpeg

Here's a look at that run from the hanging locker

03IMG_Vberth Locker6873.jpeg

Continuing the run aft into the salon

04IMG_Stbd Salon3693.jpeg
  13. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

In the salon, stbd side fwd is the second or 6 AHU's
    05IMG_Stbd salon3118.jpeg

Underneath the settee:

06IMG_Stbd Salon7370.jpeg

Continuing the run aft in the salon. There are 2 AHU's here on the Stbd side, and one on the Port side:
    Note the insulation and the plastic sleeves where the hanging brackets are.

07IMG_Stbd salon7852.jpeg

Continuing the run aft.

08IMG_Stbd salon7500.jpeg

Another view:

09IMG_Stbd Salon3169.jpeg
  14. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Chiller Candy! Can't help but notice those shiny stainless valve handles. Nice work!
  15. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

Another view of the Stbd-Aft AHU piping with insulation. This piping was purchased with the insulation already on it.

10IMG_Stbd Salon1383.jpeg

From the T above, the lead goes aft through the center berths on the stbd side with very tight quarters for the piping.

10IMG_Stbd Salon6492.jpeg

Wheelhouse AHU

11IMG_Wheelhouse3127.jpeg

Another view:

12IMG_Wh7235.jpeg

Spiro vent for system. It's traveling up the right side of the picture above.

13IMG_WH spirovent6938.jpeg
  16. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

Salon's port side AHU. There's a cross-over to supply the wheelhouse AHU behind the unit.

14IMG_Port Salon9060.jpeg

This picture of the galley indicates the long run from the AHU in the Master's cabin aft to the salon's port-side AHU, which is located fwd of the light switches in the background (above the blue bag of cheeto's - power food for the installer!!

21IMG_Galley2615.jpeg

Hanging locker for master's cabin (aft of galley above). Trunk lines insulated with white.

22IMG_Master lkr9938.jpeg

Master cabin's AHU

23IMG_Master3984.jpeg

From that AHU back aft around the stern area.

24IMG_Master8636.jpeg
  17. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

Continuing from the master's AHU into the stern area.
    25IMG_Stern3194.jpeg

Coming up the stbd side from the stern towards the ER. Tight fitting in crevices with all the other system's leads.

26IMG_Stern > ER6225.jpeg

Down deep to make the run. . . The installer was not happy here.

27IMG_Stern > ER1051.jpeg

Have to run fwd from the door in the background. No access under the counter except for one 8" square under the lavatory.

28IMG_Aft Head Run6480.jpeg

Finally into the ER

30IMG_ER Trunk4991.jpeg
  18. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

Another view in the ER.

29IMG_Er Trunk6805.jpeg

A look at the chiller & CW "plant with expansion tank

33IMG_ER7836.jpeg

Another view

34IMG_ER0546.jpeg

The controller in the salon, above the walkway into the galley

35IMG_5943.jpeg

The controller up close & personal

36IMG_1638.jpeg
  19. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

With all the piping and pro-press fittings and nipples/unions, there was only 3 small leaks. All on the CW piping connections, 2 fixed with a little "snugging" and one had to be disassembled and re-done. God Bless the unions. What a great way to assist in maintenance.

52IMG_Leak8432.jpg

And the tech releasing air from the lines during filling/flushing.

53IMG_Filling8118.jpeg

At this point, the tech is busy fabricating insulation for T's, elbows, and the pump. More pictures later!!
    It's been a hella long process, but this guy is VERY conscientious and meticulous.
  20. JWY

JWY Senior Member

[QUOTE="It's been a hella long process....[/QUOTE]

I vote this for the understatement of the year!

Looks like beautiful work professionally done with no skimping on $$. I just remembered when I showed Marmot your boat and the only thing he didn't like was the ac black foam rubber insulation. Bet your new ac would bring him a thumbs up. I know this seems trivial for the scope of work you've shown us, but I like the new salon lamp. I see fingerprints from Charlie's Loocker.