Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

Chiller help

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by Seasmaster, Mar 4, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

There shouldn't be anything alive on the evaporator ,drain pan or in the condensate line.

Use a foaming, self rinsing, bio-degradable evaporator cleaner. I use nu-Calgon @ around 20 bucks a gallon. You can use it straight if your equipment is really dirty or cut it 1 to 1 with a gallon of water. I use a 2 gallon garden sprayer you pump up. I also install 6x6 framed insulated doors for access, or you can cut a hole and use a plate and screws to seal it up. The doors are normally used to inspect fuses on self closing fire dampers in duct work. Grainger is a worldwide source but you pay a little bit more.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. Jeff Kelly74

Jeff Kelly74 New Member

I second Capt J's opinion... if you factor in the cost of not just the chiller but the air handlers, to only supply 35,000 BTUs in total, you'll end up spending less on 4 self-contained units… not to mention, a much simpler installation.

If you do really want to get a chiller system, understand that Dometic isn’t the only brand out there that makes a decent chiller. Webasto has a titanium line, as does CTM Marine: https://citimarinestore.com/citigui...mpare-to-dometic-and-webasto-chiller-systems/

I’ve heard good things about Flagship as well.

They’re comparable in construction / quality, and less expensive in most cases.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

They are missing one big element in this comparison… country of origin!! Buyers beware with more and more stuff made in China.

I have a Flagship chiller system on my boat and love it. Well built yet simple and made right here in America. No fancy control boards to fail, all basic sensors and relays. In fact over the last few months I have replaced 4 of the 18 cruisair air handlers on the 116 I run with Flagship Air handlers. Will replace more in the months to come as at 16 years the air handler coils are crumbling.
  4. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I've been very pleased with the Technicold system. I'd do it again if starting over today...
  5. Jeff Kelly74

Jeff Kelly74 New Member

I agree with you, however, I’ve seen CTM’s control boards and they’re made in the US, same as Dometic’s (made by Macro Air). Webasto’s control boards are made somewhere in Europe as far as I know.
  6. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

MicroAir makes the controls and thermostats, bus systems, etc for many brands. micro air.net