Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Ocean Alexander

Chilled water loop temp adjustment

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by C4ENG, Jul 22, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Yes this an Benetti Vision. I have decided it will be wiser in focusing on the plumbing of the supply and return air for air handlers as there is much room for improvement there. It dawned on me that the temps that I am reading on the chiller control board could be supply or return and I do not know at this time. 8 degrees is a very good return temp if it is a return temp.
    Maybe it is best I still don't know how to change the chilled loop temp. Marine Air chillers which i am much more familar with, gives me both supply and return temps with easy to change options.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you are getting 8 Deg Water coming back to the chiller it will be quite a bit colder leaving the chiller and indicates that as Cornithian suggests that there is very little heat exchange over the coils in the system.

Do you know what the Freeze Protection Thermostat Setpoint is?

If you have an IR Heat gun you could move the insulation on the pipes attached to the chiller and work out which one is the in and which is the out.
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

That combined with high humidity will almost assure that little air cooling occurs. Most of the heat is extracted in the process of condensing water vapor and little remains to cool the air.
  4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Redesigning the return airs to really return directly to the fins can make a big difference in how well the system cools.

It never ceases to amaze me how time and time again builders get that wrong. On the boat I'm currently on we spent weeks redesigning and re-ducting the returns to all 15 air handlers. The builder F-ed it up so bad that two of the saloon units were pulling return air from the exterior of the boat.
  5. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Dido. But they accomplish such amazing other things.. but when it comes to the simple s***? The Air handlers where butted up against the bulkhead.. Come on guys.. You know better.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I assume that there is a little confusion here in the correct terminology for the components of the system.

To have 15 Air Handlers on a yacht , it would have to be a pretty big one indeed.

Air Handlers (AHU): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_handler

Fan Coil Unit (FCU): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_coil_unit
  7. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

"Small air handlers, for local use, are called terminal units, and may only include an air filter, coil, and blower; these simple terminal units are called blower coils or fan coil units."

I don't know, sounds I have "small air handlers" to me. :)

And on page 6 of my Marine Air chiller manual they call them "air handlers".

So..........I guess it's just a case of two terms being used to describe the same thing.