Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

"Chief engineer, more than 3000 kW" is looking for rotational position

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by TSI AV, Nov 19, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. TSI AV

TSI AV Senior Member

Hi everyone,

As mentioned in my profile "infected by yachting". Well, after some years infection has turned into smth different, :)

Guys, I would like to try myself in a different field. From commercial shipping into superyacht industry. At least, will try ! :rolleyes:

I've updated my license, Chief Engineer more than 3000 kW.

MCA, Marshall Islands, Cayman Islands, St Vincente and Grenadines endorsements can be obtained if necessary.

B1/B2 can be obtained as well.

Before I announce my availability to crew agencies, I would like to inform You guys as "first to know".

So, if someone is interested, please revert or PM me.

Here are some details:

Ch. Engineer, unlimited power, STCW 78/95.
    Total marine engineering experience is 12 years. Different machinery, ships, yards, oceans, people ...
    Almost 4 years as a "hands-on" Technical Superintendent.
    PADI AOWD.
    Driving license, of course.
    Friedly, flexible, multiskill, "hands-on", "trouble-shooter".
    And... A lot of wish to break into the superyacht industry ! :cool:

Guys, Your input / advises are very welcome !

Regards,

Andrei
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I wish you luck getting a break into the business.

I don't know how old you are, this unfortunately can be a big hill to climb. It seems everyone wants to have fully qualified and experienced crew as young as possible when we all know that qualifications can come our way early on in life and it's the experience that takes the time and makes the biggest difference between candidates.

Last year I was sent a CV of a guy with a Class 1 Motor Ticket, he at 44 was told by the agencies he was too old to be starting in the business. I am almost the same age and even though I have many years in yachting was told not long after my 40th birthday that I was too old to be a Chief Engineer.

This guys CV was sent to me by a guy who used to sail with him as his second engineer. I have respect for the guy who sent me the CV but didn't know the guy in question from Joe. I took a chance on him and sent his CV to Captain I know who was looking for a second engineer.

The Captain is over the moon with this guy who is now sharing the Chiefs job with the original Chief Engineer. I recently asked the guy if he was interested in another job and was told that he was so thankful for getting his break into the game that he wants to stick out at least another year with the Captain and Owner who gave him that opportunity.
  3. TSI AV

TSI AV Senior Member

Hi again,

K1W1, thanks for Your support !

Well, my "hill" is 32 years old, :) ,so, still some hope.

It's a sad story You 've told ... "44, too old..."
    You know, I never understood the phrase: "veeeery young and veeeery experienced needed", :confused: , really strange one.

Best regards,

Andrei
  4. Captcruz

Captcruz New Member

How about Nationality, ever been turned down based on where you were born. I recently was at the final stage of employement on a pretty nice boat, I was asked what was my nationality via email, I replied USA, I have never heard back since, they don't even answer my emails. Go Fiqure'
  5. TSI AV

TSI AV Senior Member

Nationality..., hmmm...

Nowerdays, I don't know the answer, :)

I was born in USSR, then - Estonia became independent, now - this is all European Union, and after 21 Dec'07 - it will be in Schengen zone...

So, I think, that I am a "EU-ian" (up till now), :D

Best regrads,

Andrei

P.S. There is a difference between Nationality / Citizenship / Mentality.
  6. TSI AV

TSI AV Senior Member

Update

Hi everyone,

Just a small update:

Yeah, I've got my foot in this industry...

Already 1 month onboard of a megayacht and I'm really enjoing my career path change.

brgds,

Andrei
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Congrats Andrei! :)
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Congrats Andrei.

I hope you continue to enjoy the industry.