Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta

Cheoy Lee sailboats

Discussion in 'Cheoy Lee Yacht' started by bobhorn, Oct 22, 2017.

1. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

Is the current Cheoy Lee Yacht Company the same as the one that built sailboats back in '70s? Just curious if they have been in business that long.
    Thanks,
    Bob
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

There is probably no kind of boat they haven't built at one point or another. Quite a history of boat building. I'd suggest going to their site and reading their history.
  3. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I wrote a review for YachtForums for the Cheoy Lee 68 LRC in 2009. YF reviews usually include builder history. Here is an excerpt from that review:

"To talk of Cheoy Lee’s success necessitates inclusion in the arena of world history. The Lo family and Cheoy Lee Shipyards date back to 1870 in Shanghai. In 1936 the family moved the business to Hong Kong specializing in the construction of cargo ships. Although successfully building vessels, the current family’s patriarch, Lo To, was apprentice in every field of shipbuilding. That became fortuitous because after the Second Sino-Japanese War, the skilled apprentice returned to an empty yard which had been stripped of all tools and usable product. In 1945, using his talents, one trade at a time, Lo To completed a boat single-handedly and created much of what Cheoy Lee Shipyards is today."

For the complete history and full review, check out: http://www.yachtforums.com/review/cheoy-lee-68-long-range-cruiser.11331/
  4. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

After I posted the question I found a user's group specializing in the early sailboats. They had a complete history of the make. Amazing for a company to be in business this long. They must be doing something right. We're going to look at a '74 sailboat, hence the interest.