Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service

Check those shorepower plugs...!

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Pascal, Sep 19, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yet another case of check those shorepower plugs...

Over the summer i ve noticed our shorepower plug and the end of the cord getting increasingly hot along with more frequent breaker tripping on the boat (the 100amp mains at the glendining)

I just replaced the plug and indeed one of the wire was damaged. Looks like someone nicked the insulation when cutting the yellow jacket. Cut a foot off the cable to get nice and clean copper and installed a new marinco plug. Interestingly the marinco branded plug is made in germany by Mennekes. Yeah, not china!!

Now, could someone explain why the Hubbel or Marinco plugs runs about $600 when the industrial version only costs $220?

http://www.elecdirect.com/pin-sleev...jaJHoP9kfiA66VYBGlCN_Lafzw9lyelxoCBkoQAvD_BwE

IMG_9246.JPG IMG_9245.JPG IMG_9243.JPG
  2. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

That's some nice forensic detective work.

As far as the cost difference, the words "Marine" bump it up $380, that's about $63 per letter!

Would have to dig in the A.B.Y.C. rules to see if the Marine specs vs. Industrial spec really warrant the additional cost.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Industrial connects are not UL rated. Nor rated for marine. If that potato has ever a claim, these issues will be looked at.
    That said, I have shopped the internet and found bargains when not in a project hurry.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My last project was a 3 phase to single phase converter box. All components UL and marine rated. So I have shopped for a few 5 and 4 pin connects.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That s why i got the marinco... $600 for a few pieces of molded plastic and 4 pins is just ridiculous. Just for kicks i looked at the price of a 100amp cord set and couldnt find one under $3000. Sure it s a heavier gauge But only 4 conductors. 2 awg tinned wire is about $2 a foot so that s $200 worth of wire plus the outer jacket. Add the two plugs and thats $1500. And those ahore power cables arent even tinned!!!

Boat really stands for bend over and take it
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep. But you already knew this long ago.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There are 4 wires......so $2ft x4 x100= $800 in wire plus the connectors, plus the boots, etc. They don't sell nearly as many 100amps which drives the prices I guess...…. Look at the price difference between a 30 amp cord and a 50 amp cord......10x the price.

The Marinco ends are a hell of a lot easier to change than the Hubbell.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Most of them are 50’ sometimes 75. Almost never 100’

Problem with the Hubbell is that it doesn’t fit well in the glendining. One of the reason I ordered the marinco is that the specs showed it to be 1” shorter. Turned out it wasn’t but at least I was able to trim the end so the cablemaster cover could close.
  9. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Having personally dealt with U.L., they are quite expensive on getting things tested and listed. I'm sure the "marine" testing at U.L. is rigorous and it is very time consuming just dealing with U.L.
    Once you are U.L listed you continued to get billed by U.L. for unannounced plant visits/inspections and other maintenance fees. And U.L. knows how to bill! This I think is a contributing factor to the price for marine U.L. stuff...but , I would also have to agree , new to me, that Boat stands for Bend over and take it AND like it! Lol
  10. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

What I see in the first picture the wire was not inserted far enough into the plug...……...look at the hex set screws closely , the second one in both wires is turned in much deeper suggesting only the fist set screw was engaged with the wire.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Glenndenning cords come in 60' and 100' lengths from Glenndenning. Most boats have 100' as you lose 10' or more by the time it's routed through the cablemaster into the drum and out of the drum to the boat's electrical connection.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Correct, the wire came out without loosening that screw
  13. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I was told that the difference btwn the industrial 50 amp 125/250v cord and the marine version is the prongs on the ind. are not plated but only brass. the marine are nickle plated ,I think.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

In the old days. I have not found tinned wires in a marine shore power cord in a long while.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The pins look plated in the pictures.

Most cables are indeed untinned. A few years back I got some times 50amp cable by the foot from Ward Elctrics In FLL
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I goofed (wire & Pins).
    Yes, the PINS are plated for marine connects. This helps to keep the corrosion down.
    THEY DO STILL NEED CLEANING.
    It's been a while since I have handled Tinned wire cable.
  17. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I try to keep my connectors dry and gooped up with dielectric grease.
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Watch that grease. It will collect dirt/contaminates and hold it.
    We recommend to our customers vigilant inspections of shore power connects and pins. When in doubt, clean with contact cleaner and apply a thin coat of grease.
    We also recommend to our 30 & 50 amp connect customers, rotate the power connect a few times before clamping down the weather ring. 100 amp customers to push/pull the big connector a few times before clamping down the weather ring.
    This helps wipe the contact surface of old bugs and somebody elses connect grunge. It's scary to look into a transient docks power connect sometimes.

A couple of our customers we tear down the 100 and some others 50 amp connects for inspection. Routine with oil change for a few.
    It's scary what we find.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh, molded male 50A plugs on powered retrieval systems for some reason are the worst.
    When they fry, they fry big time.
    FM Toast.
    Don't have the data yet to blame the mfg or the customer.
  20. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

Great post Pascal .

Just opened up both ends of my 32 A EU spec Marinco ,s to find the boat end earth disconnected.

Wire was in the clamp ,it had fractured/ snapped and just came out .
    Maybe insitu it had continuity? Point is who knows ?

Cut back about 1 inch all ends ( even if they looked fine ) and refitted checking both screws gripped at the dock end .

So yup all should do at least an annual check .