Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for JetForums

Changing impellers on CR900 Man engines

Discussion in 'Engines' started by CSkipR, Sep 14, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I'm getting ready to remove and replace my engine impellers for my first time. Is there any secrets or tips on how to change these. I know to turn the seacock off, remove 5/6 small bolts, remove cover/gasket and then impeller. Since impellers can be tough to get back in the cylinder any helpful hints. I will be sure to replace gasket. Thanks for your help.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

To get it back, use vaseline and make sure the wings are folded the way they were...
  3. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Impellors

When I fold the blades over I use a snap tie to hold them and the the tie slips off as I slide in the impellor....removal can be a bear, I bought the proper puller and it's a snap. specially if over 100 deg in the e/r and it has to be done.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

K1W1,
    Thanks for the video its very good. Looks like even if you put the blades in reverse the pump will correct the blades with no issues.
    Thanks
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

To get them out, spraying a lot of Corrossion block or WD-40 inside the housing and then just bumping the motor over once or twice helps them slide out. If the impellor has a provision for a bolt in the center, get the right size/thread bolt and thread it in there and keep tightening the bolt and it should slide it right out or use a puller.

As for getting it in, I use Superlube on both the splines and a nice coating on the housing. Don't forget to sand the wear plate smooth, or change it altogether. I bend the splines over and line the impellor up with the splines of the shaft, once I do that I put the palm of my hand over the impellor and press hard and fast and once it starts moving in, try to shove it the entire way in, in one motion. I prefer to use Superlube over dish soap as it tends to stay on the splines of the shaft and facilitates removing it next time.

Chances are you can pull one of the impellors and get it from Sherwood, Johnson, or Jabsco depending on which one made the pump considerably cheaper than from MAN.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Don't use the old red-neck way of using screw drivers to remove the impellers. If I remember, there is an O ring on those pumps and the groove edge will be damaged. Be cool with that groove edge also when putting it back together also. Clean that groove last, grease the O ring and evenly tighten the cover back in place.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

ohhh, I forgot to mention that's it's best to put the cover plate back on, exactly the way it came.