Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning

Change from 32 volt to 24 volt (or even 12 volt)

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Navatech, Apr 7, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Navatech

Navatech New Member

NOT unless this has been designed into the design... And that was my point! Let me rephrase my point: IF (and I agree, that's a big if but it can be done) the 32 volt pump (really motor mostly though some adaptation will also have to be made on the pump side - e.g. impeller) has been designed to be capable of running also on 24 volt then there's no problem.

To clarify, I would NOT run a 24 anything on 32 volt. The one exception being where the manufacturer EXPLICITLY states that this is within the specs of the product!

My point, put succinctly, it's possible to design stuff that will work well on both 24 volt and 32 volt. As in any compromise, it will have its issues but it will also have its advantages.

Except that I would do EXACTLY that IF the battery manufacturer told me the battery was designed for such usage. (not that I believe that this could be done with current technology)
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If a product was made to work on various voltages it would be rated that way and you wouldn't have to ask the manufacturer. Just like LED lightbulbs are rated at 10-30volts or 10-36volts. Other electronics are rated that way......if a pump could handle it, they would rate it that way and put it on the label. The fact that they bother to make 12 volt, 24 volt, and 32 volt pumps and the motors are indeed different, then there is a reason.......
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Without access to the specific motor dataplate, it is foolish to get in the middle of this discussion but - DC motor speed control is commonly accomplished by varying the voltage. Torque is proportional to the current draw so it is quite possible to happily operate a 32 volt brushed DC motor on lower voltage if the torque and speed match the load requirements.
  4. Navatech

Navatech New Member

We weren't discussing a specific example. Just the principle.