Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service

Ceiling Recessed Lights

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by 45SS, Mar 7, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 45SS

45SS Member

Has anyone found an led lighting fixture that will work in a mid 90's Ocean? Hole size is 2.25 and can't be made bigger without damaging the headliner. Outside diameter has to be at least 3 1/8" to cover the staples in the headliner. Like everything else on a boat, there seems to be no simple solution.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Try looking to other boat manufacturers. Seems that's an item shared by many.
  3. BigChief

BigChief Member

Screenshot_20210308-094029_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20210308-094300_Amazon Shopping.jpg I used these, They are almost an exact fit you have to clean the headliner under the old light really well As these are about a 16th of an inch smaller in diameter. They look factory once their installed but you have to use LED compatible switches
  4. BigChief

BigChief Member

I used them on my 1996 48 ocean.
  5. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Just replaced them all throughout my entire boat. Not an Ocean but maybe you can use the same fixtures. I can get the model info if you don't find exactly what you are looking for.
  6. Ronnie V

Ronnie V New Member

Try Superbright LED online
    They have many choices
  7. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Take your time on these decisions. LED lighting is a full education process. 2700 CCT is the best color of light. 3000 CCT is the closest to natural lighting but can be harsh in some environments. Anything higher than 3000 starts going blue. It can ruin an atmosphere, bad decisions. If unsure or inexperienced, buy one and try it in the space. Light color, power (wattage), and beam angle all play a role. There is no magic bullet, and a bad outcome can really make a mess of the boat interior.
    Yachter55 and johnrupp like this.
  8. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Add, I've taken difficult spaces and removed existing lights, opened the backside of the fixture and installed new LED chips into the old housings with good outcomes, too.
  9. 45SS

45SS Member

My solution was to remove and disassemble the existing fixtures, and then using the modified flange from that fixture, install the new fixture which has the correct inside diameter through the flange which has the correct outside diameter. Don't know if that makes sense but the result is perfect.
  10. Eroc

Eroc Member

B39B6183-6CA9-463A-92BD-B2DA6E80D084.jpeg I purchased the ones listed above on Amazon for my 48, trim rings are smaller but they fit nicely and work with existing dimmers.
  11. Tashmoo

Tashmoo New Member

I simply replaced the original halogen bulbs with bi-pin G4 LEDs @ 2700K from MarineBeam.com. Used the same fixtures. The LEDs don't dim infinitely -- they tend to dim up and down in steps rather than smoothly. Turning on every interior LED on the boat simultaneously (I think there are 36 total) draws 4 amps. Less than a single halogen used to... with virtually no heat. Your mid '90s 45SS should be the same setup

https://store.marinebeam.com/mini-waterproof-g4-led-bulb/
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  12. Lunderic

Lunderic Member

2nd Tashmoo. I did the same on a 53" Viking (I think it was 42 bulbs swapped out). I don't yet have dimmers but I am going to add them. To be honest the main reason I made the swap was the heat from the Halogen bulbs. I'm very happy with the result. Agree with previous comments about Color. I used both 2700K Salon and Berths and 3000K heads and galley. I used "cheap" bulbs from Amzn.
    SplashFl likes this.
  13. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Me Too! Uh oh we got a movement starting ! LED that is.
    I just changed out most of my bulbs only this winter/spring to LED . Most of mine are vintage 1981 stuff. Love to loss of heat , which the old bulbs would end up burning to plastic cover if left on overnight and such. Also put them in my old vapor proof engine room light fixtures. All of them brightened things up with out a lot of aggravation changing out fixtures. The amp savings is also a great plus. Got most of them from HD or Lowes.
  14. Lunderic

Lunderic Member

I changed the 3 AC fluorescent fixtures in the ER to new vapor proof 4ft dual bulb led. They were all ratty and had broken lenses and lost clips. I put LED bulbs in the 4 DC vapor proof fixtures as well. Engine room is so much brighter now! I hope all these LEDs don’t interfere with electronics but I’ll know soon enough