Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport

Cat c18 questions

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by mark 10, Jan 12, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mark 10

mark 10 New Member

I have been very happy with my cat c18s , Im nearing 1700hrs and am being told after 1000hrs use after coolers are to be replaced as part of general maintenance ,
    The owner of a boat at my dock just went to survey and the cat surveyor sez that its a must service item that for him to let sale go thru must be done , Question is is this true? What else is normal service at 1000 & 2000 hr services?
    I understand that surveys are meant and intended to make money or bargaining points for people so whats the truth
  2. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

what does the Cat manual say ?
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I have never run C18 but I really doubt the aftercoolers need to be replaced every 1000 hours. That's nuts.

They should be pulled and cleaned at set interval, see your cat manual. Your cat manual sets all maintenance and this is what you need to follow, not dock gossip

On the Bigger cats, I forgot if cleaning is supposed to be 1000 or 2000 hours but it s not a hard job as long as you have enough room above the engines

Now, some cats had issues with the original aftercooler design which maybe why you heard rumors about relaxing then. I don't know if that was the case on the C18. The boat I run now has 1650hp C32s with original style coolers and we upgraded them to the new style right after purchase.

The boat I ran before has 3412Es with over 5000hours, we ve cleaned the aftercoolers twice or maybe 3 times over the years.

Again check your manual for service recommendations
  4. Sea Gull

Sea Gull Member

My C18 manual says to clean and inspect the core at 1000 hours.
  5. mark 10

mark 10 New Member

as do mine ,curious as to why cat survey is saying its needed
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

In addition to this, CAT is recommending CHANGING the aftercoolers every 7 years now.