Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for United Click for Abeking

Cat 3408 800 HP Black smoke

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by 55 Sea Ray R, Sep 18, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 55 Sea Ray R

55 Sea Ray R New Member

I have probably put 400 Hours on them and am Tired of scrubbing soot off the back every time I go out. They are fully serviced by a very reputable Cat guy. He told me it is the nature of the beast and no available solution. Anyone know of any better ideas ? Underwater exhaust etc. I looked for another thread found a few that talk about smoke but no real solutions.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Are these electronic controls?
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

So the motors reach 2300 WOT? If not, being overpropped is the source of a lot of the black smoke.
  4. Ken O’Connell

Ken O’Connell New Member

I have the same engines. Black smoke typically means not enough air for mix
    Are the boosting and revving up? We had a problem with bad valves where it wouldn’t boost and get past 800 RPM and just black smoked
  5. Jennifer Anne

Jennifer Anne New Member

Our 48' Sea Ray Sedan Bridge had a smoking starboard engine since we bought it. Our local guys could never solve the problem. After tens of thousands of dollars, we broke down and called RingPower. Their guy found a quarter sized hole in an access cap to the after cooler (no one else found that.). I'll post up again to update you once that repair is complete. It will cost you, but the expertise of the RingPower guys is unmatched on CATs.
    Fowled injectors could cause the same problem but ours are clean.
    Our props were also in perfect shape.
    PS: Don't believe anyone who says that you need a bottom job weekly!!