Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Delta

Cat 3208 Question

Discussion in 'Engines' started by NorCalBoater, Feb 4, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NorCalBoater

NorCalBoater New Member

Great advice. We will have a 4 hour ride from Alameda, CA to our marina in the Delta. There will be about 300 gals of fuel on board (half full), very little water in the tanks and not much gear....yet. That will give us plenty of time to check.

Thanks
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Wait to run her WOT until you're just about home at your home dock, no sense on blowing something up many miles from home. The one I manage cruises at around 14 knots or just above, but she's dry and solid. The new owner is doing some changes to her and updating a few things, but the boat itself doesn't need anything structurally. The old owner did have to have the aft deck hardtop made because the old one had water intrusion as did some of the side decking......
  3. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I was informed by a previous 3208 TA owner that running those engines at wot will blow head gaskets. maybe the owner had the governor set back to prevent that in future ?? That instance was in a 43 ft Hatteras .
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The likely hood that the blown head gasket came from running the engine WOT was probably influenced by something external to the turbine casing outlet.

By this I mean overloading of the engine and or excessive back pressure which in itself can be influenced by overloading of the vessel.
  5. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Interesting...just to add to the discussion, a friend of mine who runs a water taxi biz, was considering a repower with those 3208 ta's and he also discovered in his research that head gaskets were an issue when these engines are run at wot and being a water taxi they need to run fast from cold start, so he passed and went to Volvo's instead, very expensive switch but apparently a good one so far.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

And I had a friend who said he kissed a mermaid. I didn't understand his logic either but he is happy also. And as long as our friends are happy........

Cat engines have been around a long time. Any engine will have some personality issues but the 3208 family is pretty dependable less abuse.
    I'm not a heavy CAT mechanic but have been around many CAT boats for many years. Like any manufactures package, if it's abused or run out of specs, something will fail.
    Properly installed, setup and maintained, you can expect a lifetime of pleasures from the CAT 3208's.
    Properly installed, setup and maintained, you can expect a lifetime of pleasures from the Volvo's.
    Properly installed, setup and maintained, you can expect a lifetime of pleasures from the Detroit's.
    Properly installed, setup and maintained, you can expect a lifetime of pleasures from the J D's.
  7. NorCalBoater

NorCalBoater New Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. The negotiations begin today.
  8. Back Again

Back Again New Member

Looking for a capable tech to do a survey for me in Northern Michigan.
    Any recommendations?
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You usually cannot go wrong if you use the engine manufacturers dealer.