Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for JetForums

Cat 3116 Diesel engines

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Earl Mastin, Jun 4, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

Buy a pre-2005 and there's no problem. We have avoided volvo and mercedes - parts and service are very expensive.
  2. GhostriderIII

Besides that the 3116's are also bad in rv's. There's a class action suit forming for rv owners that are stuck with engines that don't run and they're paying mortgages on for 10-15 yrs yet.
  3. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

This was a super great post/thread to me . Extremely informative, as I've been around Detroit's only during my boating days, not by choice only because the boats I liked and could afford had them in already.
    So I have a comfort zone with them.
    But I am slowly looking at other boats now and will know what to look for when DD's are not involved.

What about Lehman diesels...powering many Trawler style boats? Are they still in business? Any good? are parts around?
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Lehman is well supported. There is just no HP in these grand old blocks. That's why they last so long.
    Lehman had a super 160. It will still out live your children with good care But that's the tops for that block.
  5. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Are they still manufactured?
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I recall the mid 90s the ford block stopped production in the UK. However, the block (like Perkins) continued in Brazil, Spain and Mexico for many years there after.
    I wish somebody could help me here to answer your question exact, but I understand, the engine is no longer in production.
    Tap on http://americandieselcorp.com/ for exact details and support.
  7. GhostriderIII

Perkins, Lehman and DD's are the perferred engines over here. A few Peugots but nothing turboed.