Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Cary 50

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by ohcandyman, Jun 13, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Build It

Build It New Member

No, I am not Shazam. Of the other Cary owners I knew none manufactured kit cars.
  2. xfact5

xfact5 New Member

kit cars

yep...mark smith..founder of factory five

cars boats planes bikes...all the same:)

m
  3. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Cool. I'm a big fan of your work.
  4. CHM5300

CHM5300 New Member

Regarding the different drive systems of a Cary 50; how does a conventional twin diesel engine installation, rudders, props, shafts and struts system compare with surface drives or the 4 Mercruisers in terms of speed for the same horsepower? Kind of long sentence!! Someone I spoke to a couple of years ago indicated that if I were to use a conventional props, shafts and strut system in my Cary 50, I might get better performance if I used V-drives for transmissions and placed the engines in the stern. Any input would be appreciated!
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You came to the rite place. I'd like to hear more about this also.
    I've always been a big Cary fan. Always want to learn more.
    ,Ralph
  6. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

They were wrong. There was a 50 that originally had four Renault diesels with surface drives that was repowered with a pair of 8v92's with v drives and conventional shaft drive. Engines sat too high in the boat, hatch had to get rebuilt, strange shaft angle, etc. the boat ran like crap and then after a small fortune was invested in it somehow the boat sank and the insurance company paid out a fortune on it. Back in the 70's Cary built several boats with straight shafts but the engines were located under the forward cockpit rather than all the way aft.
  7. xfact5

xfact5 New Member

straight shaft numbers

Curious on straight shaft numbers here as well. Don't get me wrong...I love surface drives...but maint wise a big straight shaft fan on ocean boats. A set of 750 horse detroits and shafts...I wonder how fast in the early boats? Most of them had 450 horse engines.

mark
  8. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Right but with the early boats if not all had the engines located midships. Trust me, the diesels with v drives was a disaster.
  9. xfact5

xfact5 New Member

straight shafts

Agree re v drives...question I have is how fast were the straight shaft engine forward Cary 50's? The ones I have seen with 450 horse engines I figure were just over 30 knots...anybody have any experience with the twin engine diesel cary other than the man powered build it?

M
  10. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I've driven the last one built that had 12 cylinder MTU's with arnesons. The boat was a beast.
  11. Build It

Build It New Member

Hi all, looking for a cleat from the old Cary 50. Any idea where I can find one?

Thanks
  12. Lcrasher

Lcrasher New Member

I love those cary 50s,ever since i saw it in that episode of miami vice "great mc carty" never been up close to one but only saw them in pics
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.