Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service

Career possibilities with NA bachelors degree

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by Albert Jr., Mar 8, 2015.

1. Albert Jr.

Albert Jr. New Member

A little bit about me.
    I'm a 21 y/o from the island Curacao with a dream to produce my own semi-custom boats.
    Boat types I have in mind are bay/skiffs, center consoles, custom Carolinas and downeast lobster boats.

I think the best way to start is to get a bachelor in Naval Architecture and a masters in Business Administration.
    My worry is that job opportunities will be slim with this bachelor degree if I am to live on Curacao and I feel I atleast need some sort of income to support my dream.

With this I ask..
    What other careers are possible for someone with this degree ?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

As a NA you can be a Classification Society surveyor or just work for someone else to gain experience and then start doing your own designs slowly while you don't need to sell them to support yourself till you get a customer base and can go to it full-time.
  3. Albert Jr.

Albert Jr. New Member

This is what I'm talking about. Which careers aside from design and surveying are possible ?
    I appreciate your reply but it just seems to me that there are limited possibilities for someone with an NA degree.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I think what you're describing is true of most degrees, but many people work outside the field in which they have a degree. Now, you've added another very difficult factor and that is to do it in Curacao. I don't know how many opportunities there are in this field there. I know of Curacao Drydock.

Let me give you a comparative situation. Say I get a degree in civil engineering, but I live in Lincoln, Nebraska and I'm unwilling to move. There is probably only one civil engineering firm in town. (Note that Lincoln Nebraska is larger than Curacao). What if you had an opportunity to intern at Vripack? Often if we want to pursue a specific career it requires sacrifices. Yet, only we can decide if we're willing to make them or not. There is nothing wrong with saying "I'm not moving", but just recognize how it limits your opportunities.

I'd also suggest you think of things you might want to do and then model your education to accommodate them as well. Perhaps you get your undergrad in business and graduate degree in Naval Architecture. Would you like to perhaps work on ships while advancing your knowledge? Then perhaps go to Maritime school as well.

You need to think of your career goals and what you're willing to do to reach them. But Naval Architecture is a very small field and then limit it to Curacao and you've made it extremely small. As to other fields, you can enter many, but this degree isn't specifically designed for them.

What have you been doing since high school graduation? You've had three or four years. Is it in a field you might continue in while working to become a naval architect?
  5. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Focus on the US or Holland, Curacao is not the place to start any business or career in my opinion, it's the place to end it...;-)
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Two very good posts there fellas.
  7. Albert Jr.

Albert Jr. New Member

Well right now I'm at a technical school finishing my third year.
    I'm thinking of either yacht design, business engineering or maritime school. Maybe do the 2nd or 3rd and do an online course on yacht design after that. (Westlawn)
    What is also possible is to follow the course for yacht design at the Curacao dry dock but you won't get a NA title.

What I know I want to do is to help my dad with expanding his shop (we own a marine shop) and forming and selling my own boat brand. By expanding, I mean that I want to expand not only inventory but to also bring the shop to other parts of the Caribbean, kinda like Bass Pro in the states but at a smaller scale.. (maybe more like Island Water World or Budget marine). My goal to put it simple is to have a well paid job, a family that loves me and to fish and build boats for as long as I can.

I realize now how limited of a career NA really is and there's alot more that goes into forming a career than just having the
    right degree. (I feel I still have alot of homework to do)
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

In expanding his shop and forming a brand, that's a lot of business and a very little bit of naval architecture. If you don't do the business side well, it won't matter what you know from a design point. Also, in designing and developing the boat you want to brand you can also and should also get help from others.

What you're wanting to undertake is quite an effort. A good bit of general business skill, a good bit of accounting and finance. You also need to prioritize and put in order your plans. Your own boat brand or expand to other parts of the Caribbean first? Definitely not to be done at the same time.

Do you know how many boats are sold annually in Caracao, of the type you're considering? Have you studied the market, done research? What level of sales would you require to be profitable? See, I would have no idea what kind of boat to build for Curacao and you're not going to find yourself exporting a start up boat to the US or somewhere.

Bass Pro Shops? No. Not even conceptually. Do you have any idea the investment in just one of their locations? Don't try to emulate something in a very different market and with huge funding. Think of what is right for your market. Harder in some ways, easier in some. May not have to be as fancy or as prime a location. I'd recommend you looking at a builder in the Bahamas and see how they've created a niche. But then do understand the Bahamas get more boat traffic than Curacao.

You're talking first about being a businessman. Second about knowing how to design and build a boat. Most failed boat builders do not fail because they can't build a boat.

An entirely additional topic is other areas of the Caribbean. Each country will have it's own challenges, own bureaucracy and regulations.

Thanks for further explaining your goals. I hope what I've said helps you. Do not want to discourage you from your goals, but open your mind to the true challenges and what will be required. As the next generation in the family business, your challenge is typical. It's to retain what has made the business successful in the past under your father, while evolving the business to new times.
  9. Albert Jr.

Albert Jr. New Member

I'm not discouraged at all, it just drives me more to do this to be honest.
    Thankyou for this eye opening reply. I think I now know what degree I should focus on and I'll make sure to never lose this thread.

Thankyou again for the reply,
    Yachtforums rules.