Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service

Carburetors for Small Block GM

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by Hal Swinehart, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Hal Swinehart

Hal Swinehart New Member

I have a 1960 Roamer with the original Carter WCFB (2669S) carburetors (on the small block GM engines). I would like to replace these carburetors with something a little newer, and hopefully with something that has the same footprint so that I do not have to get into new intake manifolds, wedges, etc.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

Hal
    1960 Regal 35 Sedan
  2. kips ahoy

kips ahoy New Member

wcfb carbs

If you get new carbs I would be interested in the WCFB carbs. My # 612-801-7407 or k.shefveland@att.net

Kip
    Kip's Ahoy
  3. Hal Swinehart

Hal Swinehart New Member

wcfb carbs

Kip,

I've been getting a little troubleshooting guidance since I posted the original message, and right now it looks like I may be keeping the WCFBs. If I change my mind, however, you'll be the first to know.

Hal
  4. dogsharks

dogsharks Guest

A note to all who may be attracted to the title of this thread, I wanted to post a generic note to be helpful. It is a tendency for auto parts guys to relate to marine motors in auto terms, and this invariably leads to over-carburation of the motor.

Since a motor is an air pump, naturally the faster it spins the more air it pumps, and as we all know, few marine 427s, for instance, are spinning at the factory automotive redline of 6,000 rpm. Therefore what may be appropriate for an automotive use, say a 750 cfm carb, is waaay too much for the same 427 in marine form, spinning at only 4000 rpm. The stock carb on a marine 427 is a 625 cfm Carter AFB. Even that is way more than the motor needs at 4000.

Therefore, the same goes for the small block motors. Beware of what you hear at the auto parts store. I suppose you could use a new Edelbrock 600 marine carb on a small block chevy motor with good results, but any more would lead to cylinder washdown, high wear, and high fuel consumption.

Regards, Paul
    "dogsharks"