Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Walker

Captain's pay for this gig...?

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Norseman, Jun 24, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Judy, I did not name the northern route more dangerous. Taken from Florida to Amsterdam, it is just longer (not really a great cirle route anymore), less comfortable and in the very northern part, quite boring. And it makes a big difference, if you follow her eastbound or westbound, due to prevailing winds and swell. But it allows yachts with much shorter range to cross the Atlantik.

If time is no concern and with good weather planning, the northern route can be a real adventure (if one likes landscapes without the colour green :)) but in delivery mode and if range and equipment of the boat permits, I would always take the southern route via the Azores. If you go via Hamilton, Bermudas to Horta, Azores, the longest time between ports will be 7,5 days at 10 Kts (if you are able to achieve 10 Kts SOG).

If you are on the northern route and have to go for more refueling stops, some of the harbours with diesel fuel available in Newfoundland or Greenland, are located on the upper end of some pretty long Fjords, which adds even more miles to the route.

But I agree, if the boat was unused for some time, it should be thoroughly tested and at least one crew member should have some profound engineering skills.

When I had this unplanned visit on the Farmont yacht on the picture above, I did not do a deep survey on her and we did not leave the habour but I crawled all around her, as I always do, if allowed by the owner or seller :). The equipment looked well sorted out, with redundancy in safety related items and everything looked as being made for a long life and long distance cruising. If this boat in Florida is in good shape, I would not mind, taking her across the pond.

The present company Farmont Yachts, is a German registered company (GmbH & Co.KG) located in Düsseldorf, Germany and builds its boats in Turkey. I have no idea how many of them are around. And I did not know, that the design had its origin in the US. The design is not my taste but Norseman does not want to buy her, he just wants to do a ferry trip with/on her.

The only problem, I have with ferry trips of yachts and payed delivery/ferry crew is, if the owner/seller is
    stingy and places some financial risk on the delivery crew by paying a package price, which includes all expences like fuel, return flights, etc. This is done quite often on ferry flights with small aircraft. If anything goes wrong, first the profit for the ferry crew is gone and later they pay on top. A lousy business.

But I am absolutely sure Norseman is old and experienced enough not to take any unecessary risks and bad deals and last but not least, he is under final control of the Admiral. PPR as we flyer say :).

Norseman, you know my motto: PPPPPP (propper planning prevents (p..s) poor performance!!!!
  2. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

True: He wants the commission for himself :D

This buyer has been on the verge for months, he almost stepped up, then he backed off.
    I spoke to him on the phone, nice guy and all that but he can't make up his mind despite a great price on the Farmont.
    Now with the Brexit and everything in turmoil it may be a bad time to buy in $$. Or good once the Euro shoots back up.:rolleyes:
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aye Mate: Yes old and experienced: 59 as we speak, 60 December 7th.
    (Another disaster in American history December 7th when I was born somebody said :eek:, although my year was 1956)
  4. JWY

JWY Senior Member

"True: He wants the commission for himself "

See the thread on bad brokers. Wonder if the owner knows he wasn't returning calls to other brokers.
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Will look for the thread.