Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Delta

Captain's License Required?

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by Capt Bill N, Aug 5, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Bill N

Capt Bill N New Member

I have a question regarding the necessity of a Captain's License. Is it legally required that a salesman providing demo rides on 40 foot yachts to prospective buyers hold a valid Captains License? How about a repair facility that takes boats out on rides to work on repairs, would they be required to hold a valid Captain's license?

Any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Cap License

Capt Bill. I currently sell boats on the Great Lakes and have never encountered an issue like this. I am under the impression that if you are taking out paying customer for the ride (Chartering) you will need to license. I take customers out quite frequently for demo rides, etc. and have never had an encounter to say otherwise. My company does not require it either. Nor does their insurance.
  3. captbkoch

captbkoch New Member

If you are carrying people on board with intention of them buying the boat then yes you must have a ticket. Reguardless of how many years someone has done it without and not had a problem! Cover your rear end and do as you should and have the ticket or hire a captain who does.Wouldnt it show better to the client ? If you ever had a boarding etc. you present your papers and all is in order , play by the rules and all will be well , thats why we have rules and regulations. right?!
  4. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Please enlighten me....

I would like to see where it states this in the CG regs. I have been boarded by the Coast Guard and Harbor Police and it has never come up. I tell them that this is our demo boat and these are my customers. Are you sure on this? Is there a certain amount of tonnage that would require a license in that situation?
  5. captbkoch

captbkoch New Member

To find the regs you would go to the Code of Federal Regulations, also known as the CFR. You would more than likely only have a problem if something came up ,but why take the chance
  6. Capt Bill N

Capt Bill N New Member

Where in the regs?

The reason why I posted this question is because I could not find a clear definition in the regs regarding whether or not a license is needed.

46 CFR Part 10 - link: http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_99/46cfrv1_99.html

Part 10 talks exhaustively about licensing but does not talk about what types of activities require a license. That is why I posted the question. We all know if we are taking out 6 people for a fishing trip and we are charging them that we need an OUPV. We know we can't take more than 6 paying passengers on an uninspected vessel. But in a demo ride or sea trial situation I cannot get a consensus. It would seem, if they are paying passengers, a license would be required. But where in the regs does it define a paying passenger?
  7. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Lisence Required?

I have performed more than one survey-seatrial where the Coast Guard has boarded me and asked to see my license. Suffice it to say, I never leave home without a copy. It used to be that if you took passengers for hire (e.g. charter) then a license was required. Now it seems that if you are on a demo ride, you are in essence a captain for hire. The interpretation of laws are changing and insurance companies are looking to cover their aft. Get one, or hire one. Nothing can be more embarrassing and a deal stopper than if the authorities board your vessel and in front of your client, give you the rubber hose treatment. Also, it is a wise idea to make up a "go bag." Most vessels that I have seatrialed have expired, or do not have the required equipment board. My bag includes 6 lifejackets, a bell, current flares, both garbage and oil placards and fire extinguisers. Every yacht brokerage office should have one and if you are in the MIA-FLL-PBI are, PM me and I will make one up for you.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A captain's license is not needed for a salesman to demonstrate a new boat, because the boat is owned by the dealership the salesman is working for. A captain's license is required for a salesman to provide demo rides on a used boat that is owner by an individual (a brokerage boat). I am not exactly sure about the repair facility. Many of the larger ones have an employee that is licensed to run the yacht while the mechanic examines the engines or whatnot