Click for Walker Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn

Capac units on aluminum hulls

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by 9lives, Jun 16, 2005.

1. 9lives

9lives Member

Since we repainted the hull and installed new anodes and reference units for the Capac unit I have been watching the meter on this unit closely. At the pullout last year everything was perfect.

Last night I noticed that when the engine room lights were turned on the meter fell almost a full number. (from 8 to 7) They are 12volt. Turned on other 12 volt items and noticed the same thing. Turning on 120 volt items does nothing. Does this happen to anyone elses boat? Time to start getting fmiliar with the wiring again!!

Mark
  2. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Stray Wattage

Hmmm,...., maybe the CAPAC unit itself is experiencing a draw down in power when you activate another hungry member of its power supply. Cant believe that there is another electrical relationship on that order. Hmmm....
  3. JimBauer

JimBauer New Member

Capac Mutterings

Mark,

If you don't have an engineroom schematic, I'll be happy to send you one. The CAPAC and the 12 volt system take an input from a 32V to 12V charger on the after bulkhead next to the isolation transformer. The 12V 110VAC charger also discharges to this same black box. Put a good voltmeter on the 12 volt line to the CAPAC system and see if the voltage varies when you run various 32 volt items. If it does, then put your very sensitive voltmeter on the output to the cathodes (I hope I've got that correct reference - anodes, protective voltage/current - cathodes). If the output voltage is varying with the input voltage then you've got a problem in the CAPAC box and we'll deal with that.. If the CAPAC is varying with the lighting then we've got something grounding on the hot side of the 32 volt lighting and we can troubleshoot that.

Now if your system is just insane, we'll call Dr. Phil.......

Jim Bauer
    55 73 Roamer
    San Ramon, CA
  4. 9lives

9lives Member

Capac units

Thanks for the heads up Jim. I was hoping you were lurking out there somewhere just waiting for those Capac questions!!
    I will work on these issues this weekend and see if I have any answers to your post on Monday.

How is the boat coming along?
    Mark