Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn

Can't plane out, bottom problem?

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by NBiancardo, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

You could hire a Captain for the day.

PM Ed (NYCAP123).

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/g...21248-great-loop-cruise-video.html#post204324
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Ummmm let's see.
    a byproduct of engine combustion(or any combustion) is the creation of carbon monoxide.

If you have an exhaust leak into the engine room and some of the engine exhaust gasses are venting into the engine room instead of being routed out the transom like they are supposed to, some or most of that carbon monoxide/exhaust gas would make it's way into the cabin area and helm area of the vessel since both border the engine room on that boat and are not completely or tightly sealed. Therefore, Causing the Carbon Monoxide alarm to detect carbon monoxide and go off. I am inherently knowledgable of the 32' searays and would instantly look at the Westerbeke gas generator exhaust elbow as they never last more then 1000 hours on them. If that is fine I then would look at the exhaust manifolds/risers/and hose. If that is not the case then I would see if the batteries are overcharged and gassing off.
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

I've seen more than a few CO Detectors go off inside express cruisers at slow speed when there's no wind or a following wind. Unless there's a good head wind to blow it away it's not uncommon.

Attached Files:

4. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Hmmmmm.

Seems to be one two many oxygen molecules in the discussion.
  5. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Carbon monoxide (CO) and carbon dioxide (CO2) are often mistaken for one another. Both gases are odourless and colorless and target the cardiovascular system. Both gases can enter the body through inhalation, skin and / or eye. Similar symptoms that both gases have in common are headaches, dizziness, seizures, and hallucination.

Most people have a hard time determining the difference and do not realize that vehicle exhaust emits both CO and CO2. In an indoor environment, this build-up of gas can be hazardous to the health and safety of the individual exposed to it.

CO has been referred to as the “Silent Killer” (The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide). Once CO is inhaled, oxygen levels are displaced in the blood causing vital organs to starve. Therefore, causing people to suffocate and lose consciousness.

CO2, on the other hand, is referred to as “hypercarbia or hypercapnia” (Carbon Dioxide Poisoning). Since our blood expels CO2, inhaling more CO2 would cause the inability for the body to expel the gas.

Additional differences in CO and CO2 are addressed on this website:

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Versus Carbon Dioxide (CO2) | CETCI Magazine Blog | Gas Detection Experts
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I asked that because the OP had previously posted that he made a typo - he realised this himself.

The poster I was querying however either did not fully read the previous posts before launching his mid guided advice, nor did he even seem to know the difference when responding.

Excellent post there P46-Curaçao
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I know the difference between carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide. Since the Searay came from the factory with a carbon monoxide detector I assumed the poster mis-typed his issue and advised him based upon his real issue which would be his Searay factory installed carbon monoxide detector. However, one can also die from too much carbon dioxide in the air as well, although rarer. Exhaust does emit both as referenced by another poster.

Splitting hairs does not assist the poster and the issue of his carbon monoxide detector going off.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If that's the case why did you post this?
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Perhaps because the US is the only country in the world where CO2 is classed as a pollution... Here we call it a fertilizer...

Attached Files:

10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I see the confusion now.

CO2 And Marijuana Plants | The Weed Blog
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

And here we have the answer to the original poster, since the oceans are taking up half of the CO2 we release, the growth on your hull goes faster these days...:)
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Great, a half dozen smart behind posts to knit pick on a simple typo... I don't think anyone cares about the extra 2. Explaining how the CO gets in most cabins is a lot more important to safety, isn't it?
  13. NBiancardo

NBiancardo New Member

Man did I set something off with my typo's! That's the last time I try to work and discuss boats at the same time!

Thanks to everyone, I will have the bottom cleaned this weekend and take a look in the engine room for exhaust issues.

I will let you all know what I find, THNAK YOU!

Nick
  14. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Don’t worry, we just want to help and keeps things straight!

Hope you solve your problem, I had a 31ft Larson in the past, and one day, the trim tabs where down, and the bottom had too much growth, with same results…
  15. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

K1W1 never stops amazing with the breadth of his expertise. Not even going to ask how he acquired this specific knowledge and expertise.