Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Furuno

Can’t get my props off

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by 993RSR, Jun 4, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Glad to hear this all came together for you and the results are what you were looking for. Sleep well!!
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There is more of that Ouch lingo. Ouch has been following me to closely. Starting to really hate Ouch as much as Murphy.
    Instead of typing Ouch, Lets type to my GoFundMe page...
    LOL... 1550CCED-90A5-4F91-BD9A-B1034B667A00.jpg
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My wheels come back next week. The new shop (vs the regular shop) found a flaw where the base of a couple of blade were not square with the other blades (4 blade wheel). Yes, the blades were nice but not placed perfect with the other blades. Every blade not perfecta at 90 degrees.
    Seems further diagnostic work on the prop-scan and more (lots) work on the bench that nobody wanted to do before.
    If a few days we will know what shop is straight or full of ****.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  4. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

Until this episode I was suspicious of the Prop Scan value. I sent both sets of my props out to the same "old school" shop and they sent back a nice report, reconditioned and polished them up. When the problem persisted and I got hooked up with Wes he sent my main 5 blades out to Treasure Coast who uses prop scan. Treasure Coast called me immediately and said the props were not serviceable. One blade had major repair and welding, they were super thin from multiple recon's. Now I am a believer.
  5. mapism

mapism Senior Member

What sort of seals? Depending on that, $15k all in doesn't actually sound too bad.
  6. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

The price for all his labor was beyond reasonable. I was there twice a day just to have a look. I would stop by around 6:00 expecting Wes is home only to find him outboard a motor with hydraulic jack.
    My shaft seals were the old style without the crossover cooling line.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A set of props that have been reconditioned too many times, might look great on a prop scan. All of the numbers may be great, but the problem is out in the real world the blades can be flexing (from now being too thin and the torque) and thus causing vibration and changing pitch etc.
  8. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

Exactly. Flexing blades under load. For a S/F backing down at high load... yikes
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Veems are far superior props to what you had anyways. But chasing vibration can be an expensive and frustrating proposition.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep, My wheels coming back from TC Prop also. Paul & Don were great to work with by phone and e-mail.
  11. wingless

wingless Member

When I first removed my propellers and couplers I discovered that the internal tapers all showed diagonally opposite contact patches.

All the parts were lapped to each other, so that all parts now have even / uniform contact patches.

Now the disassembly is attained w/ normal and expected effort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]