Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service

Canadian equivalencies?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by canadianEng, Jul 7, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. canadianEng

canadianEng New Member

Hello

I've been trying to research info on obtaining an equivalencies for a Canadian 4th class Marine Engineering license to a yacht license.

I will be completing Maritime school in Canada shortly, and currently hold an Engine Room Rating license. Once school is finished I will hold exemptions to 2nd Eng, only required to complete Orals and EK.

I have full STCW training for officers, marine medical , and a Canadian discharge book, along with a passport.

I have no previous yacht experience, however I have sea time primarily on medium speed plants, transporting petro products and bulk goods such as coal/wheat/iron etc.

Any info in regards to steps I should take in obtaining my Y license, and likelihood of employment holding my current credentials
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

You don't need a "Y" license.

Go to the websites of the maritime authorities of the major yacht flags; Cayman Islands, Marshall Islands, and read their notices regarding endorsement of other authority's certificates and the issuance of "certificates of equivalent competency."

If you are determined to contribute money to the UK MCA, visit their website and download the application for an MCA CeC.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

He/She can continue on the non yacht route with the UKMCA as they are responsible for all CoC's not just the yacht endorsed ones
  4. canadianEng

canadianEng New Member

Hello

If im not required to have a Y license, and a CoE will be sufficient. What position in regards to Y ranking would a 4th eng CoE employ under?

And, would my Engine Room Rating endorsement qualify me right now to work a non licensed position?

Thank you for the reply
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

True, but the only problem with that is as he upgrades his Canadian ticket he will have to pay the man again for a new CeC. Unless he intends to sail on a UK flagged commercial vessel there is little if any advantage of going the CeC route as opposed to a flag state endorsement based on his underlying certificate.

In many cases, since each application is evaluated on its own merits (individual and vessel specific), the flag administration may offer a better option.
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Do you hold an STCW compliant EOOW certificate? What is the STCW code on your certificate?
    What limitations are noted, if any?

There are no standards for "unlicensed" yacht engineers. Go to the flag state websites and study the documents related to safe manning certificates and you will find much enlightenment.
  7. canadianEng

canadianEng New Member

watchkeeping engineer on any type of vessel, Motor, without voyage limitation or propulsive power restriction;
  8. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

There will be an STCW code, which may look like giberish containing Letters, Numbers, and Roman Numerals- these are the true ratings which will be considered for Cert. of Equivalency
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

If you have a III/1 notation for EOOW with no limitations you may serve as C/Eng on many smaller yachts (and with a 60 miles offshore limit on some larger yachts) and 2nd Eng on larger yachts with or (maybe) without range limitations.

The manning requirements can be delightfully flexible or frustratingly inflexible depending on the boat, the applicant, and whoever evaluates the application.

There is no direct equivalency between Y and MN and that is why applying for a flag state endorsement might offer the best route depending on your own experience and the operating pattern of the yacht. Each (commerically operated) yacht will have a safe manning certificate and that will state the certifications required. Again, there is room for negotiation in many circumstances.

A UK MCA CeC might work on red ensign group vessels but not Marshall Islands, you still need a M.I. endorsement. Since M.I. is the other giant in the industry and growing, it makes sense to avoid buying a certificate that is not needed or is simply redundant.