Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Perko

Canadian Engineer CoC

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by comEng, Dec 8, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. comEng

comEng New Member

Hello

I have a question about MCA and other organizations.

I'm currently finishing my maritime training in Canada, through a Transport Canada recognised college.

Based on MCA Y4 requirements, I've completed far and beyond the requirements, except for having "yacht" sea time. I currently hold 12 months sea time on commercial ships with at least 6000kw power.

Would it be possible at this time, to apply for a CoC for the Y4 ticket?

Also, once I receive my 4th Engineers ticket, what would be the highest Yacht ticket that I would be able to hold?

Under STCW in Canada a 4th may act as the following:

Fourth Engineer
    watch keeping engineer on any type of vessel, subject to the propulsion type specified on the certificate, without voyage limitation or propulsive power restriction.

Second Engineer
    Passenger-
    <7000kw Near coastal voyage class 2
    <7000kw Sheltered water or limited near coastal class2
    <4000Kw Near coastal voyage class1

Chief Engineer
    Passenger
    <1000kw Near coastal class 2
    <1500kw Sheltered waters or limited near coastal class
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Don't waste your time and money. If you get a job on a Cayman flagged yacht you have to get a Cayman endorsement based on your underlying certificate. They will tell you what level they will endorse your license.

When you have an STCW EOOW license you may obtain a flag state endorsement for service above what a Y4 offers.

Flag state determines these issues on a case by case basis based on your training and license.

Don't bother getting an MCA CeC either unless you plan on working on a British flag yacht.
  3. comEng

comEng New Member

Thanks for the heads up !

However I'm eagerly trying to get my foot in the door before I obtain my License. Such as sailing as a Y4 for a sea term.

I hold a Engine Room Rating license, now if I were to challenge the Small Vessel Machinery Operator exam, which I think allows one to stand watch on a vessel under 1999kw and 200 passenger?

Would it have any weight for yacht application? I'm trying to find something within the limitation I have, for certification that can be applied for yachting.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Refer to post #2.

Contact flag state to get a valid answer to that.