Click for Mag Bay Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker

Can I brag just a tiny bit?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by retiredguy, Oct 5, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

TBH I don't know if you could build a boat like this in today's economy and sell it high enough to make a profit.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Dutch and German builders do, although not in that size range. But there's a lot of demand for the quality of boats Burger once built. We chartered Top Times, which was featured on YF, once and were extremely impressed with the quality. Unfortunately, we just couldn't adjust to the speed or lack thereof. Today, just couldn't be comfortable committing $15 million or so to Burger as I can't think of them as an existing builder, but more a small commercial builder wanting to get into pleasure boats and I'd fear that to get my boat completed I'd have to end up buying the company. The quality of workmanship on Top Times and I'm sure on your boat was amazing to experience even this many years later.

Curious as to what the draft of your boat is? If it's low enough, what an incredible boat to do the Great Loop in. And don't let anyone tell you it's too big. We did the loop in a 69'4" boat and had no problems, but draft was only 5'.

While many love your boat because it's a classic, I love it because it's a great boat that just happens to be from a prior time. It's like I am with antique furniture. Is it still something I can use rather than just look at? Your boat is gorgeous in today's terms and useful and enjoyable in every way. No one who ever gets on it will ever believe when it was built. Yet, to the classic fan and purist, it's the best of it's time as well.
  3. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

According to the spec. sheet shes only 65,000 lb. and the minimum draft is 4' 2". All aluminum will do that. :)

Truth, I've been looking/shopping for some time and nothing really spoke to me. We pulled up in the car and seen the First Lady sitting there. When I got out the Admiral said, "uh oh I know that look, we're going to buy this one". She was right of course.

Previous owner took amazing care of her, the wood in the helm (mahogany and teak) looks like it was installed this morning. Like you said, quality. The thing that really showed me that was a simple thing but every door, drawer, cabinet fixture worked perfectly, nothing sprung or binding. Burger built her to last and I intend to make certain it does. Oh, previous owner says 1600 RMP gets 10 knots. Full throttle 0f 2300 rpms will give you 15 knots on a clean bottom. I figure cruise is 10 - 12 knots. No speed record but no need for a tanker to follow me either.
  4. olderboater

It would be an incredible boat for the loop and large enough if friends want to fly in and out and just join you for sections great.
  5. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

Will know more in a couple weeks, moving her from Maryland to Savannah GA. down the ICW with some off shore time planned. I've hired a well qualified Captain and instructor to make the trip with me. Some might say there is no reason to, I say its one of the smarter things I've done this season.

Friends and family are already "hinting" about coming to spend some time with us. Being honest, its one of the reasons we bought her. Can't wait for the kids, grand kids and by next summer, two great grand kids!
    hat4349 likes this.
  6. olderboater

Some people don't like others along but we love to experience life on the water with others. I remember when we did Alaska with various friends shuttling in and out. Seeing more glaciers wasn't like seeing the previous ones as we had new friends aboard experiencing it with us. We averaged 6 of us aboard on the Loop. From the time we'd first take her on board at the age of 3 our niece has loved boating. We were in Alaska and flew to SC to be there for her birth and then stayed there for a week, left and two weeks later had our first cam session with her. We know she didn't know what was going on but when we popped up on the screen, she'd smile and giggle. I remember the summer of 2018 was her first major cruise with us at her age of 4 and we took her with us from Boston to Montreal and back to New York. 2019 was more local and 2020 only local but then this year, at 7, she joined us for Viareggio, Monte Carlo, Nice, Antibes, Girona, Barcelona, Valencia, Gibraltar, Lisbon, Muxia, Guernsey, Poole, Isle of Wight, London, Havre, and Paris. Amazing that between Quebec, practicing at home, and France, she even has picked up a little conversational French.

Forming memories. We boated with just the two of us in NC. Never anticipated the change in our life and the huge extended family we have now, none by birth, but all through love. Our "kid" we didn't know until she was 18 but she spent every summer boating with us through college and grad school. I can't imagine anything more joyful than boating in great areas with your kids and grand kids.
  7. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

I do like my solitude but love having those I am close to around. My past boats were okay but not really of a size (38') to have anyone with us for more than a weekend, even then things were tight. Having them come and stay, travel with us a bit, see things from a new perspective and as you say, build memories they will talk about long after we are gone is beyond any measurable value.
  8. classic

classic Member

Really thats a great boat nice lines and thats a gentlemens yacht oh miss these days ..

:(
  9. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Congratulations on the First Lady. She is a good buy and a beautiful yacht.
  10. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

Thanks.

Her look is what captured me.
  11. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

Thanks!
  12. Reconjohnnie

Reconjohnnie New Member

I don't post much of at all. I just had to say what a beautiful yacht.

Thank you for sharing.
  13. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

No, thank you for the good words!
  14. Rich Buttine

Rich Buttine New Member

“Nothing better than grandkids on your yacht, memories they will never forget.best of luck with her”
  15. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

They'd have a tremendous little run buying back their fleet from the 60's and 70's, refitting them to modern spec, and re-issuing hull numbers. These older gals are just beautiful.
    retiredguy likes this.
  16. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Your cruise is 10 knots. Enjoy it. 11 is available without stress, but the fuel begins to burn exponentially, and the engines feel the effort. Enjoy 10. Why anyone even discusses 15 with these gals is just curious.

I'm 68, but a Hargrave design as opposed to the SS you have. I have simply adjusted my perspective of speed to enjoyable time on the water. I know it's going to take a minute to get from here to there, but if I go faster I'll miss seeing so many things...and I'd rather be under way than a boatel tied up at a dock. Well, I feel that way until I tie up. Then I have the best house in the neighborhood. Lol...
    TahoeJohn, retiredguy and bayoubud like this.
  17. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Keep me posted with your timing if headed off shore. I'm in Sag Harbor right now, and I'll be headed out around Montauk around 10/20 and headed south.
    retiredguy likes this.
  18. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

You ask the questions, and I'll likely give you the answers. I know these boats almost as well as Burger.

Your windlass is an Ideal, and there's a shop in Rhode Island that will rebuild and even re-chrome as needed. You're designed to feed the anchor line through the haus hole and attach to the danforth, tossing her over the rail or lifting her with the anchor davit. Refitting for a roller below the cap rail has been done by others...
  19. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

That would be a GREAT idea.
  20. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

Will do!