Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay

Can a retired Airman own a yacht?

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Retire2Cruise, Sep 15, 2015.

1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Yes, you're very old...lol

One of the things that amazed me was the marinas who would accept checks with no problem. We aren't going to carry the amount of cash required to pay. At home, it's all billed to us, but it's all by truck. Checks were an adjustment for us as we almost never write checks. We pay all bills at home by ACH and the vast majority of business bills that way.
  2. Retire2Cruise

Retire2Cruise New Member

I'm ok with slow, it's the rule of retirement...besides, the wife prefers it that way...slow!
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

You can change the thermostats and throttle the SW Flow to maintain temps if you are so inclined.

For someone with your knowledge and experience this should be an easy remedy.
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, extreme attention to details, drives my wife and dog nuts. :cool:
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Drives me and da Kats nuts.
    Da Kats have to put up with me when I come home and try to update my work orders.
    Wife just waits till the rum and kat fur settles, then she sends the bill (very well edited btw)..
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Checks are a beautiful thing. Bouncing them is a crime that many municipalities prosecute vigerously. Also they generate triple damages in many jurisdictions. They also make wonderful wallpaper in establishments where your neighbors shop. And all that's for those who bounce their own checks. Not your account and add in forgery, bank fraud and a few other felonies.
    Then, because collection agencies know check kiters never keep track, $50 checks become a $500 checks.
  7. MARS

MARS New Member

Would you please expound on the Exumas. I was wondering how they compare to the Abacos. I'm going to get there eventually.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Exumas are exponentially more beautiful than the Abacos. Abacos have the exumas beat with land based things....stores/shopping, bars/restaurants etc. But the Exumas are breath taking. Highbourne is very nice, snorkeling the airplane behind Norman's Cay and the lagoon, feeding the pigs on Big Majors, the creek and the marina at Compass Cay with the dozen Nurse sharks, schools of bonefish and snapper swimming through the marina, snorkeling thunderball cave, the inside passage between Staniel and Compass, the water colors are breath taking.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The Abacos have more marinas so for those who like to spend a lot of time at the dock with neighbors close by, it's a better option

Me I ll take the Exumas. Dozens and dozens of protected anchorages, incredible variety of things to do, and most importantly no crowds

The abacos are a big destination for many snowbirds so you don't get that tropical exclusive feeling

Also in winter cold fronts are much stronger in the abacos as they are in the Exumas.
  10. MARS

MARS New Member

Thanks - Exumas it is - sounds great! Any recommendations as to staying north - Staniel and Compass Cay area vs heading south along the chain or to the big cay where Mosstown is located.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

There is a big difference between the northern and the southern exumas mostly because most boats, especially charter boats out of Nassau, don't venture south of Staniel.

Time permitting, the southern exumas are not to be missed.there are some really nice beaches along great Guana cay including the one on the sound side by oven Rock (at the southern end). It's a short hike across the island first to a cave with interesting swimming hole and then a beautiful horseshoe beach

Little farmer is a great spot, lunch at TYs sunset grill is a worthwhile post. They had started building a dock earlier this year, not sure if it's finished,

Further south, rudder cay is home to th under water piano, not to be missed, nice beach and a boat garage cave.

Lee stocking is a very pretty anchorage with multiple beaches. I have rarely seen more than 5 boats anchored thre and off season we ve often been alone.

More beaches and active blowholes off barraterre and finally Gtown, on great exumas is worth at least 2 or 3 days with more heat beaches, more people too, mostly cruisers but not as busy as the abacos.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't see any reason to go South of Staniel and have had several times.