Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for JetForums

Calling all Engineers: Engine Room Pics!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Garry Hartshorn, Jul 20, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Garry,
    Your on to something there
    but it is not an Benetti
    But yet get this,
    The same people that build Benetti's
    Have built this engine room
    I bet that is going to twist your mind for a moment:D
  2. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

Well seeing as there are about 5 builders in Viareggio CRN, Versilcraft, Perini Navi,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and some other I have forgotten have all used at different times the same contractors. Anyone else.
  3. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Garry, you are pretty sharp.
    All those contractors do go from yard to yard installing equipment like you said.
    I will give you another hint, this boat was built about 50 miles away from where you are talking about in Viaregio
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

How about Canterei di Pisa then Joel
  5. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Nope! Give you one more good hint. It is the ER of my avatar.
  6. Garry Hartshorn

baglietto
  7. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

DING DING DING!!!
  8. YES!

YES! Senior Member

Garry -

I am particularly proud of and happy to share the engine room that I designed on Lady Lola (63 meters by Oceanco).

Attached Files:

9. Garry Hartshorn

Very nice but where's the blue ?? :D
  10. J. Dunbar

J. Dunbar New Member

I've seen Gary's "handy work" in an engine room...He makes a New Guinea engineer look gifted...
    Just kidding, Gary is one of the few yachtsman I've met that can wear a captains hat or engineers hat with great skill and focus.
    Good thread.
  11. John DeCaro

John DeCaro New Member

Engine room of New 111' Inace Yacht explorer

111engineroomforwardstb_1_2_1.jpg

111engineroomcenterlineforward_1_1.jpg
  12. Garry Hartshorn

Jason if I didn't know you better I would think you are trying to butter me up for something...........;)

John thats a good workman like job on that Inace I am sure once all the wraping paper is off and everything shined right up it will be a real pretty engine room.
  13. YES!

YES! Senior Member

Right on, my friend, but there were a couple of remote areas on board that were able to escape the blue paint.
  14. m.usher

m.usher New Member

thought you might like to see these photo's, this is the engine room of the M/Y Atlantica

Attached Files:

15. airship

airship Senior Member

The ubiquitous 5 gal/ 20 litre container with its top cut-off being reused as a trash-can or something else on a multi-million dollar yacht (see dead-centre of photo)...
    Just what is it with (some) yacht engineers? Some of them will easily spend $25,000 on "critical spares" which will slowly rust away in some forgotten area under the floor plates. That engineer will move onto another yacht and the new engineer will order another $25,000 of "critical spares" because he hasn't looked under the deck plates.

Yet, the same 5 gal/ 20 litre container with its top cut-off will still be there 3 years later...?! :confused:

The solution: stainless steel trash cans (even for engine-rooms). One of these nice-looking and kickable bins will cost less than half of the usual price for a mechanical seal for your EVAC pump. And if I were you, I'd have a complete EVAC pump / motor plus 2nd electric motor aboard as serviceable spares at all times (and not stored in the bilges). I'm full of ****e, I know - lots of engineers have told me so... :)
  16. Garry Hartshorn

At least there is a trash bin, if you look closely there is also wraping paper on the hand rails, so I suspect this yacht is so new it is still in the yard or was when the photo's were taken.

I to have often shook my head at the useless spares rusting away in bilges, I remember one boat I was on years ago that I found 3 full sets of injectors still in their original boxes in the bilge, of course they were all water damaged and un useable. Oh and we were running 16V396 MTUs in that boat.
  17. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

18. Garry Hartshorn

That reminds me of another one, when I was working as a mate on a tug there was a clunking sound coming from under my bunk when we were in heavy seas. On investigation I found it was a spare piston and liner for the main a 5 cylinder Ruston & Hughes built around 1930. I believe it had been there since new as it was a requirment for lloyds to carry such a spare, but after 60 odd years you can imagine the condition it was in.
  19. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

I think it's great to see that people are forward thinking in carrying spares. Then it's sad to see that the spares go to crap because of bad storage.
    The major spares I keep around are a turbocharger, a cylinder kit, and injectors. (All stored well of course !!)
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

What one carries onboard as spares can vary widely depending upon a huge number of things.

There is the budget- will the boss pay for all this "dead" stick to be carried aboard?

Is there Room? Do you have enough space to store everything you want without having to stow it down in the bilges? Is weight a consideration?

Are you cruising far enough to need to carry all those spares?

Does the person doing the ordering know what they are doing?

Does the person doing the repairs know what they are doing?

I have served aboard some very well known large yachts as Chief Engineer. I have myself been appalled at the volume of stuff I have found that is either used parts back in new boxes, parts to fit equipment that is no longer used aboard,( Tender and PWC Parts are big on this list) parts that don't seem to belong to this particular boat at all.

I did two stints on a 50m Feadship as relief Chief Engineer the first in 2000 when the Chief didn't come back so I got to spend longer there than originally planned but not long enough to get into "Pandoras Box"and the 2nd in 2002 when we went to a yard and emptied out the whole parts store and this comprised the entire area forward of and below the crews mess to the Fwd Bulkhead. When stacked up waist high it nearly filled 2 40 ft Containers. I was amazed to see that bolted along the fwd edge of the Fresh Water Tanks were complete pumps and motors for Fuel Transfer, Daytank, Bilge, Fire and Fresh Water- All liquid filled and brand new just as they had been the day they were secured in place some 16 yrs earlier. In the meantime it had had a couple of Owners and numerous refits ( it's had a couple since as well!!)and some of the original pumps had been changed out completely and the pipework modified to suit the new ones which were not as good as what had just been thrown out.

One example of the wrong parts being there was.There were parts for the flushing part of EVAC Heads that had the threads in little metal inserts as the ones on board did, there were other parts the same shape that need to be secured by nuts and bolts making them useless. I bet these were expensive and just sat there for no one knows how long before we threw them out. There was also a lot of Switchgear and PMS Components that had obviously been used at some stage in the past but was no longer any use onboard.