Click for Seacoast Click for Cheoy Lee Click for Westport Click for Lurssen Click for Llebroc

California Coast Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NorCalBoater, Jan 3, 2012.

  1. NorCalBoater

    NorCalBoater New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    59
    Location:
    California Delta....for now
    I am finishing up the purchase of a 1988 51' Symbol Yachtfish with 375 hp 3208 Cats. The boat is in Long Beach and I need to move it to San Francisco Bay.

    Can anyone advise when would be the best time weather-wise to make that trip North? Can I expect good weather in February or do I need to wait until March or April. I have a close friend in Southern Cal that is a USCG licensed Captain and drives 70' tugs around Southern Cal and he has offered to make the trip with me. It would be my first offshore trip of this kind of distance.

    Any advise would be appreciated.

    Shawn
  2. carelm

    carelm Senior Member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    Messages:
    412
    Location:
    fairfax va
    Shawn,

    It shouldn't be overly difficult if you're willing to put up with some rain. The winter is the rainy season in CA. Average daytime temps are in the low to mid-60's. The only thing I would look out for are the storms that can churn up the water a bit. Since you're going against the Japanese current, this might make for a rough ride in the event of a storm.

    Good luck,

    Mike
  3. travler

    travler Senior Member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Messages:
    276
    Location:
    roche harbor wa
    that trip is not bad i have made it many times just watch the weather and be ready to go from L A to point conception is usualy nice , if you plan to run 24/7 go around the point ant night are early mornig there are a few spots you can wold up in , if you have time stop in and see hearst cassel there is a pretty good anchorage there

    have fun travler
  4. RER

    RER Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2009
    Messages:
    1,329
    Location:
    Newport Beach CA
    Flybridge helm with Bimini and Isinglass? Any weather window will do but typically better weather if you wait for spring. Personally I can't stand the cold.

    Check out Magic Seaweed for wind, swell, & swell period ...forecasts out a week and it's remarkably accurate.

    California Wind Chart

    What travler said, going around Conception is usually better at night. You can stage departure time from Santa Barbara.
  5. BLouder

    BLouder New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2010
    Messages:
    30
    Location:
    Sacramento CA
    Made that trip 2 years ago this month. We brought up two boats. My 48' Pacemaker Sportfisher and my dads 43' Viking. Great experience. Take your friend the Captain. Check weather, and monitor it closely. The "Point" was gravy. We got beat up going into and leaving Morro Bay. When the swells are big they break at the harbor mouth.

    We stayed at a marina everynight, it took us 7 days because we had a mechanical that cost a day waiting on parts.

    We saw whales, tons of dolphins, and lots of jelly fish. Monterey was by far the best place we stayed. Santa Barbara the worst.

    I would offer to go with, but I just got done with a 7 day boat trip from Sacramento down to SF and back. I love winter boating.
  6. carelm

    carelm Senior Member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    Messages:
    412
    Location:
    fairfax va
    BLouder,

    Are there any concerns about Half Moon Bay harbor if Mavericks is running really big? The waves there can exceed thirty feet but I don't know how that impacts the harbor itself.
  7. NorCalBoater

    NorCalBoater New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    59
    Location:
    California Delta....for now
    Thanks for the feedback Guys. The Magic Seaweed site is great. I will be using that. I was figuring I would have to wait until late March or early April but I am getting the impression I could go earlier if we just watch the weather.
  8. NorCalBoater

    NorCalBoater New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    59
    Location:
    California Delta....for now
    RER-

    It is a flybridge with Isinglas. I don't like the cold either. We did the seatrial in LB last week and the weather was beautiful. I lived down there for 20 years and we really miss it.

    Thanks for the assist.
  9. BLouder

    BLouder New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2010
    Messages:
    30
    Location:
    Sacramento CA
    We didn't go into Half Moon Bay, Mavericks was HUGE! They had the surf contest the weekend after we went by.
    This was our route,
    Long Beach to Santa Monica (only due to mechanical failure)
    SM to Santa Barbara,
    SB to Morro Bay,
    MB to Monterey, (this was a long day)
    Monterey to San Fran,
    San Fran to Sacramento

    We were running about 12kts while fighting a really big Northern swell, but the gap between the swells was about 11 secs so it wasn't too bad.
  10. PropBet

    PropBet Senior Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2007
    Messages:
    1,221
    Location:
    Is Everything!
    Adding nothing more than what's been said. I've done it a handful of times in sail boats, and a couple in a motor. Weather isn't terrible in Jan / Feb, but you can catch a storm on the way. There are enough spots to tuck in and hide behind a wall along the way if needed. It can get cool, but not "northeast cold".

    Depending on where you are going in the bay, or if you're heading into the Delta towards Sacramento, you'll want current charts.
  11. CaptTom

    CaptTom Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2006
    Messages:
    1,918
    Location:
    Palm Beach to Ft Lauderdale
    NCB,
    I can't add anything to the trip itself. But I would suggest getting a few hours under the keel to feel everything out. You would rather have something break while in protected waters than halfway between inlets on a heaving sea.
    Also, learn the boat. Know what to do/where to go if a particular alarm goes off. Take a glance at the manuals that may be with the yacht. Get extra fuel filters and such.
    Cat 3208's are good blocks, and parts should still be available even though that series is no longer produced. The one thing I was cautioned about when I ran those engines in a Chris Craft was the hidden cooling hose, I think it was under the alternator. Many times it would get skipped during a PM. May want to inspect and have a spare.
    Good luck with the trip. Take pictures and let us know how you make out.
  12. carelm

    carelm Senior Member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    Messages:
    412
    Location:
    fairfax va
    You should have waited until the surf contest and rented out your boat to spectators.:D You might have broke even on the trip.

    Attached Files:

  13. NorCalBoater

    NorCalBoater New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    59
    Location:
    California Delta....for now
    Thanks Cap't.

    The engine survey was done this week and I will have it and the oil analysis by Friday. Hull survey is next week. If all goes well I plan to keep it in SoCal for a couple of months, upgrade the electronics, and do exactly what you suggested. Do some SoCal cruising and if time permits get over to the Island for a couple of nights. When I am comfortable we will plan the trip north.

    Thanks again!
  14. PropBet

    PropBet Senior Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2007
    Messages:
    1,221
    Location:
    Is Everything!
    That's a good sound plan NCB.
    Do some tooth cutting with the boat in S. Ca. which offers a lot for some weekend / overnight / short hop runs. San Diego, Channel Islands, Catalina, etc.

    Shake everything lose with the new gear, provision, top off the tanks and head north.

    Safe travels.
  15. NorCalBoater

    NorCalBoater New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    59
    Location:
    California Delta....for now
    The Saga - Part II

    Again, thanks to everyone for their advice. Unfortunatey, things have not worked out with this purchase.

    The engine survey came back with $8000 work that is needed and the seller has not been willing to make good on any of the work needed. Apparently he bought this boat as a repo over a year ago, did not have it surveyed and was planning to flip it. I guess he is into it now for what for what he paid for it. I wish him luck and feel fortunate to have gotten out for only $1600. The listing broker has ben less than forthright in the disclosure of all of the issues with this boat.

    But as they say, things happen for a reason and we found a very nice 1984
    50' Kha Shing CPMY. The boat has been very well taken care of, had $32,000 worth of new electronics installed in '08 (this included the complete re-wiring of both helm stations) as well as reciepts for all work performed for the last 10 years. And the boat has stabilizers. We got a great price, its already in Northern Cal, the engine survey came back great and we are now waiting for the hull survey.

    That $1600 I spent on the first boat may have save me 10s of thousands in the long run.

    Anyone have any info on the Kha Shings? They are still in business and thats usually a good sign.

    Thanks in advance for any assistance
  16. Capt J

    Capt J Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2005
    Messages:
    12,775
    Location:
    Fort Lauderdale
    Kha Shings are usually pretty sturdily built yachts, however they are not going to win any speed contests. A friend of mine ran a 65' for years about a decade ago. It did not have a very good range at it's 12 knot cruise. I think all of your typical Tiawanese nuances come with it such as complicated fuel system (though they never seem to be an issue), interesting wiring, and poor stainless and small hardware........