Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn

Cadet on a superyacht to become OOW

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by Sambo42, Aug 21, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Sambo42

Sambo42 New Member

Hello everybody!

I am new here. I know this isn't the first thread treating this subject, but I think my question is more specific.

I am a 22 years old, third year student at the Antwerp Maritime Academy (Belgium). I am studying 'Nautical Sciences', and want to become a deck officer. I have some working experience on ships as a cadet/trainee. Once on a passenger vessel from La Romana (Dominican Republic) to Lisbon (Portugal) for about 11 days, on a LPG carrier from Terneuzen (The Netherlands) to Morocco and Algeria for about 4 weeks and on a trailing suction hopper dredger in Germany for about 2 weeks. Both navigation and maintenance were part of the job.

This year I will finish my third year (I still have to do some exams) and get my STCW Operational Level together with my Bachelor’s Degree in Nautical Sciences. After this year I will finish my fourth year and receive my Master's Degree in Nautical Sciences and my STCW Management Level (necessary to become Master on ships without limitations).
    I already have completed most trainings such as basic safety, basic firefighting, advanced firefighting and I already have my GMDSS Global Operator Certificate.
    This summer (from July 15th till August 14th) I was working on a 45 metres passenger vessel, which sails between Nieuwpoort and Oostende (Belgian coast - North Sea) as a waiter. I saw M/Y Alumercia overthere, its berth was next to ours. It was really an amazing yacht. Yesterday and today I saw M/Y Turmoil, which was visiting Antwerp (Belgium), which was even bigger and much more luxurous, but I prefer the Alumercia.

By seeing these 2 vessels, I wonder if I can go on board such a superyacht as a cadet/trainee? If this would be possible, how do I have to start with this? Here in Belgium or The Netherlands, we don't have so many of those superyachts were I can go to and ask. I don't know any names of crewing agencies for superyachts around here.

Can someone please explain how I have to start with this?
    In 2 years I will be graduated and I want to get as much as experience as a cadet/trainee in these 2 years.
    There are only 2 parts of the maritime industry in which I am really interested:
    - Dredging
    - Superyachts

I already have some experience in the first one, but now I want to do the same with the second one.

I hope my explanation is quite clear and that you understand what my question is.
    I want to thank you in advance!

Grtz
    Sam
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

At present there is no such thing as a formal cadetship setup on yachts.

This is a subject where I have previously had a lot to say in another publication and not generated much interest.

I would suggest that at the moment you keep on working away at your Merchant Navy Qualifications, these will be available to use on any yacht.

If you get experience handling dredgers then you will be well on the way to being able to handle the bigger yachts.